2240 Speaker selection

PMS

Hey guys, looking for advice on speakers to use with a 2240 receiver for listening to 70's to early 80's rock. Budget is a limiting factor at the moment due to the recent acquisition of the Marantz. I have $400 to spend, plus probable shipping. Not a lot of nice used vintage gear here in cowtown .
Thanks in advance ,
Gary
20180719_172328.jpg

Last edited:
I would be looking for imperial 7s or original large advents and still have enough for cap updates and a nice dinner.

If you're patient and keep your eyes open you may be able to nab a pair of HD770s in the price range.

ADS, EPI, Polk (many like the model 7), some of the Norman Labs (I have the model 8), etc, etc, etc. It all depends on what your ears like.

Scan CL on a regular basis. Go to garage sales, thrift stores and estate sales (if you have the time). If you see speakers advertised somewhere, go listen to them.

I recently picked up a small pair of DCM's at a thrift store (cheap) that play very nice with the Normans. If something's cheap enough, you take a chance. Sometimes you get lucky.

I would not buy used speakers online unless I had listened to that make/model before and knew what it sounded like. I've bought new, online, (due to rave reviews) that I sent back because my ears didn't like them.

I looked at a small set of older Polk's today because I wanted the Peerless tweeters for another set of Polk's that I have. I listened to the tweeters, using a paper towel tube, and one of them was not working. Glad I checked them out before buying.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam on the internet, but unless I run across a high-end vintage speaker or I just want vintage because it's vintage, I'd really rather run a new speaker.

A 2240 will push a modern bookshelf like an Elac B5/B6 or Wharfedale Diamond/Denton incredibly well. And those are around/under the $400 mark. The Wharfedale will give you that "vintage like" sound to a degree as well. The original Elac Debuts do a good job of that too.

I would prefer vintage, but definitely open to other option.
Chicago Craigslist for OHM C2 Speakers is my vote!
Offer $225 and only pay asking price ( IF THEY ARE PERFECT )... they're asking $350
And worth it IF PERFECT...
Here's mine
IMG_20180529_164351941.jpg inside set

Thanks for all of the ideas, guys. I owned a pair of Realistic Mach One's for 20 years with a Technics SA-400, until my home was burglarized. I loved those speakers. Worked my 16 year old butt off to buy that setup in 1978. Looks like there are a lot of options to choose from. I appreciate all of the input.

Thanks for all of the ideas, guys. I owned a pair of Realistic Mach One's for 20 years with a Technics SA-400, until my home was burglarized. I loved those speakers. Worked my 16 year old butt off to buy that setup in 1978. Looks like there are a lot of options to choose from. I appreciate all of the input.
Sorry to hear that...

I purchased a pair of Mach ones in 1983 New from Radio Shack...still have them.
My brother purchased a new SA500 Technics and a Technics turntable with a pair of OHM model H in summer of 78...
I recently purchased a mint SA600 & SA800 and have recently found all the Ohm Speakers since April

Dang! If Cowtown is Fort Worth, I just took a nice pair of Advent Heritage speakers to Goodwill. Always intended to have a garage sale after moving and downsizing last year. Couldn’t find the time and finally hauled everything to Goodwill last week. Keep an eye on CL and the thrifts.

Ft. Worth wishes it were cowtown. Lol. I'm in Amarillo. Not much here but a bunch of rednecks and meth heads.

Ft. Worth wishes it were cowtown. Lol. I'm in Amarillo. Not much here but a bunch of rednecks and meth heads.
What's up with meth?
I will NEVER Understand why Anyone would do drugs ...
People without constructive hobbies and no passion for anything good are Not people I can be anywhere near..... Stupid idiots!

I agree. My neighbor was murdered last April when he confronted a meth head breaking into his shed. He just retired a few days earlier at 56 from the DoD. Sad world we live in.

I agree. My neighbor was murdered last April when he confronted a meth head breaking into his shed. He just retired a few days earlier at 56 from the DoD. Sad world we live in.
Wow!
Dept of Defense....
I wish your friend was armed and ready to shoot!
I live in the sticks and many in my neck of the woods are armed 24/7.... Self defense is important at all times

Absolutely agree. I carry everywhere but work. It's not allowed(major hospital). It baffles me why he wasn't armed.

Absolutely agree. I carry everywhere but work. It's not allowed(major hospital). It baffles me why he wasn't armed.
Well I am sorry to hear about your loss of your friend......There's hope in Christ in my way of thinking, this is a scary world at times.

Thank you. I have always been a fan of Cerwin Vega. Was just looking at some Ohm L's on a fb group. Wil the 2240 run 4 ohm speakers? I've read conflicting information on this.

Back
Top Bottom