2245 restore / no FM stereo

Did you do the check I mentioned on 2/21/14?

Other than that you could have a blown front end FET.

Coax cable looks good.

I messed around with it some more last night. I actually had it pretty close (good strong signal, still no stereo though) and then I tried to tweak it some more and ANOTHER tuning slug froze up. Ugh. Anybody got any extra ones?

L101 through L104 in the FM front end (P100) - the iron cores or "slugs" inside the inductors. I've now got two busted ones.

Mouser sells variable inductors that I could probably cobble in there but I have NO idea what the stock values are. Neither the schematic or the parts list says. And Mouser has a pretty large range.

Yeah that's not good at all, getting those cores out is a major pain in the ass. When I've busted them that bad it was easier just to replace the entire tuning cap- did that on a sansui.

I'm going to pull all four tonight and measure them for what they're set at now (I've got a wavetek that can measure inductance). Then I'll go on Mouser and see if I can find something that will work.

BK nailed it. "Good luck!" is right. I didn't realize that between L101-L104 two of them have three legs, one has four, and one has five. Mouser replacement parts? Yeah, right.

I pulled L101 since it wouldn't turn.
IMG_20140320_205129_912_zpsvejeulyr.jpg

Tried to get the core out somewhat intact, it looked like it was split down the length of the thing in three places. No luck, here's what I ended up with.
IMG_20140320_210947_467_zps98azk2vb.jpg

So this one is above my pay grade... I might as well pull the other one that won't turn and bust it's core out too, no? It'd save whoever works on it some time...

BK, you want a shot at it? I'm in absolutely NO rush. However long it takes, it takes.

BTW I'm not so sure the `no stereo` issue isn't with the muting amp or MPX board. Before I screwed these inductors all up it was pulling in stations like crazy... in mono.

Yup, lets do it- pro bono as I got you into this mess. I've screwed around with enough tuners that i've gone down these roads before. Anytime I have the opportunity to get spare tuner parts I grab them.

No way, man. Charge me your normal. You didn't get me into anything, I'm the moron who wants to fix anything and everything himself.

You want me to bust out that other core first?

No, it may not need to be adjusted. Believe it or not I like pulling my hair out over FM stuff, it's much less now as I have a grasp on how it all works- it's only taken 3 years and i'm just starting.

I think it probably will be. It was tuning better before I turned it and then it locked up... but you're the pro, not me.

I wish I had the gear, knowledge, spare parts and experience. I wanna pull my hair out too!

Once you get the stereo indicator to come on with FM, I'd love to know what procedure was done to do it. :yes:

So I got this receiver all packed up and ready to send to Brad. USPS quoted me $130 to send it to Ontario! I then went to FedEX, and they wanted $265! Outrageous! Despite bk's gracious offer to check it out pro bono, the cost of shipping it to him and back makes it a no-brainer.

Any of you guys in the US want to take a look at it?

Did you price USPS Priority International? They will had it off to Canada Post at the border.

Tom

Yeah, the lady at the post office showed me two options. The $130 one was the cheaper of the two. Priority was IIRC about $210.

Zombie thread resurrection!!! So... fast forward three years... I bought another FM tuning section (P100 board) off of the auction site and swapped it out.

FM sounds nice and strong... in mono. I won't be playing around with any of those slugs on the P100 board but I'm willing to try tweaking L301 and R365 again. I messed around with L501 (the black/pink guys) and managed to get the needles maxed and centered when tuned to a station. I just wish it would kick into stereo. I wonder if I have a cap backward somewhere. Will stare at it some more tonight.

Back
Top Bottom