2265B getting a weak FM signal

NewVintageNu

So I got this 2265B at the Goodwill yesterday, score!!!

Seems to work well except for a few burned out lights and the fact the FM is weak or something. It's strange, the signal strength meter and turning indicator would only intermittently work till after I cleaned it, after cleaning the switches and controls with de-ox-it now they work full time. The tuning indicator works well but it's just not tuning or showing a strong signal on the signal meter. I had it hooked to my rooftop antenna and a station with that antenna and my Kenwood KT-7500 will just about peg the Kenwood's meter but showed about 1 on the Marantz.

Is there something in the FM signal path that could have aged and is preventing a strong signal? Or is there something wrong with the actual tuner itself? Seems to have a pretty sensitive tuner as even with the weak signal shown it picks stuff up well and some are in stereo. Sort of a PITA though cause if you turn muting on you loose most everything. To answer the question before someone has to ask it really does seem like it is a sensitive, good working tuner that is getting a weak signal, not just a meter that is reading wrong.

TIA,
Bryan

Your tuner is misaligned or have got a problem...not easy to repair without knowledge and lab instruments:sigh:

I have the exact same problem with the 2265B I recently picked up. I also get low signal strength on the indicator across the FM tuner bandwidth.

Well the reason I think it may be something preventing the signal from getting to the tuner intact and at full strength is that there is a muting control on the back. There is also another dial on the same board as the muting control on the back but inside the case. I did de-ox-it these controls but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Oddly if I turn the muting control on the back to minimum the signal strength shown goes down slightly. As I advance towards max the signal strength goes up very slightly and stays put then as I dial further it goes from stereo to mono.

I'll have to look at the schematic and see if I spot something to check on. I was just hoping this might have been a sort of common issue with a known fix.

Back
Top Bottom