2265B with hum

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by RS Steve, Mar 17, 2017.

1. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

I picked up this nice receiver from the original owner, everything works well, but it has a constant background hum. It is only noticeable when the music is idle, I was wondering since it is in both speakers that it might be the big filter capacitors. Anyone have any ideas?

2. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

If youve got a volt meter, read VAC on the chassis with yourself as the ground reference. If more than ~8vac or so turn it off and flip the plug. This is a good time to mark which side is which, I use a dab if white nail polish so I know they're oriented correctly.

Does the hum change amplitude by touching the chassis and is it on all inputs?

If you've got a scope it helps to know the frequency. If not download a free frequency generator app and match it.

If none of the above helps, most likely leakage from the power supply and recap is in order. Couldn't hurt anyway.

Just to be clear, this is a hum not buzz correct and is coming from the speakers and not the unit itself?

Try unhooking all other sources and see if it helps. Hums generally tend to be ground induced.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017