2270 Bad relay?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by gregd, Jun 24, 2017.

1. runningdog

runningdog AK Subscriber Subscriber

Is your MY2 relay DC24v or AC24v? It needs to be DC. Just checking to be sure. If an AC one is installed you'll get readings that make no sense.

2. gregd

gregd Well-Known Member

Its D.C. I jumpered the relay and ran it all day through some junk speakers and it didn't do anything weird so I just have to get this issue figured.

3. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Take a bright pic of the top and bottom of the power supply board for us.

4. gregd

gregd Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Some shots of the power supply board. If better shots are needed I can get out the tripod and good camera but it looks okay to me. Aside from the work I did on the relay and transistor the only spot that doesn't look factory fresh is that open hole at he top of the board.
    Off to watch Motogp ,go Rossi.

5. gregd

gregd Well-Known Member

I have about 2-4mv on j813 and j814, the adjusters are very sensitive so that's the best I can do, this seems good enough from what I have read. The relay has 32 volts on the seloniod and is rated at 24 so this is high however, using the old relay, out of circuit and applying voltage with a power supply the relay engages at about 16v and stays engaged at 32v. So all I can think of is that something is limiting the current flow though the circuit does anyone have any idea what could do that.
    I know it is prudent to recap the power supply and if a bad cap would cause this symptom I will go ahead and do that, but if this problem is caused by something limiting flow through the circuit like a bad ground or open resistor I want to get it sorted before introducing new variables.

6. gregd

gregd Well-Known Member

So I finally got together all the parts and replaced all of the capacitors on the power supply board as well as the three transistors in the delay circuit and still no engagement of the relay. I did find that if I ground the side of the relay that is connected to the collectors of transistors h-809 and h-810 the relay engages and the unit plays. Any ideas what to try next?
    If it matters it looks like this is one of the earlier models with the engraved champagne colored face plates.
    Thanks in advance.