2270 mods recovery

sssboa

Greetings everybody!

So I bought 2270. I noticed power cable is with grounding. Is it original installation or mod?
2270a.jpg
Also the filter caps by Elna look vintage but they are 18000uF :) Looks to me like a mod applied by the owner in the 1980s? The serial no. of the receiver is over 55000 and I saw a date stamp inside April 1974. Thx for all suggestions.
2207b.jpg

International unit? Seems like I read they had grounded plugs. :dunno:
How to find out if it's international? I bought it in the UK. Power cable enters the unit not at the edge like in some but about 1/4 of width to the middle of the unit.
But 18000uF caps are not original of course? They are perfect in physical dimensions though and look vintage.

I just noticed a stamp "Japan" on the grounding part so maybe it's original. From my experience I know that grounding picks up static and disturbance from outside. Can I safely get rid of it? Some models were without it anyway?

i have a 2230 with exactly same 3 wire barrier, by the way mine have a 4 fuse plate attached to one amplifier heathsink, no external fuse holder, yours have it?
i ve read intenational units has such fuse plate holder and "maybe" the 3 wire AC input.

best regards.

Pio

i have a 2230 with exactly same 3 wire barrier, by the way mine have a 4 fuse plate attached to one amplfier heathsink, no external fuse holder, yours have it?
i ve read intenational units has such fuse plate holder and maybe the 3 wire AC input.
Pio
I have the fuses attached to the heatsink inside.
Do you mean yours is actually grounded with the power cable to that barrier? The middle soldering point is ground.

I have the fuses attached to the heatsink inside.
Do you mean yours is actually grounded with the power cable to that barrier? The middle soldering point is ground.

yes, same wiring as yours, earth in the middle (screw to chassis), so i think we have international units.

Pio

yes, same wiring as yours, earth in the middle (screw to chassis), so i think we have international units.

Pio
Thx. Do you have problems with disturbance from power grid due to the grounding? I ungrounded my Yamaha (but grounding was a mod) and the background cleared up so much! Before I could hear my PC's hdds in speakers.

no problems yet, i was thinking was a mod, now i am not shure, do you have cable plug picture, any mark, old aspect?

Pio

Last edited:
My International version 2275 does not have a grounded plug (2-prong version) and also has no external fuse. All fuses on a fuse block facing the bottom of the chassis.

no problems yet, i was thinking was a mod, now i am not shure, do you have cable plug picture, any mark, old aspect?

Pio
The cable has been cut off just outside the box :) I bought it as for parts or repair.

Thx.
Is it safe to unground the unit? I already tested and it was receiving disturbance from other house appliences, especially the PC that is next to it.

i think is no problem ungrounding it. but i dont have the problems as you describe.

best regards.

Pio

Don't use an oscilloscope on it!!

By not grounding it to the pole, your secondaries are floating. When you ground it to the pole, it creates a possible health risk for anyone working on it, imo..

If you have a powertool in one hand that is not grounded right and "live" and you grab your beer can off of your stereo, you'll understand why it should float.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom