2270 Output Transistors, what were they originally?

Whaleman

Hi-Fi Rescue Mission
Can someone settle the question wether Marantz made its own output transistors or they branded Motorola or something else.

I have this continuing debate, both my 2270 had what appeared to be original Motorola outputs, while my 2285 has Marantz branded outputs. These were made a few years apart.

Some, especially on eBay, seem to advertise "original Marantz transistors" as if that meant something special.:scratch2:

I saw lots of Motorola devices in those series of Marantz - the 1060 and 1030's had them, too.

I believe that the Japanese semiconductor plants were gearing up big time in the early 70s so they began to really produce devices once their lines were up and running. It takes quite a while to get a semiconductor plant up and running. This is one reason there's so few manufacturers for the main chips we use today.

So, you're seeing the point in time where the switchover was happening. A lot of those unique ICs and transistors are NLA as a result.

Cheers,

David

You mean they originally and earlier on came with the Motorola installed then? My 2285 was made in 1977. The 2270s are much earlier.

Thanks.

The 2270 used Motorola transistors, and AFAIK they were not stamped with the 'Marantz' name. Later, when Marantz started using Japanese transistors (NEC and Toshiba, among others that I'm too lazy to look up), the 'Marantz' name got stamped on the cases on some units. I doubt if there is any difference between the ones that got stamped, and the ones that didn't.

In my 2270, serialnumber 511xxx, produced in 1975, has power transistors F(Fairchild?) S40443/505 and S40442/506.
Which ones are compatible?
Herbert

Why? They need replacing? If not, don't worry about it.

For a non-answer to your question, personally I'm not up on all the old US transistor numbers (Motorola, Fairchild, etc...)

Back
Top Bottom