1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

2270 Very slow relay click

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Stratman, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Stratman

Stratman New Member

I've just acquired a 2270. The relay clicks after about a minute. I hear a gradually building buzz from the relay until it engages. The audio sounds like a receiver that needs to be serviced but is mostly fine.

The voltages on the power supply and amps are fine. Is there anything I should try to fix before I dive into recapping the power supply and changing the relay?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Jailtime

Jailtime Standin' on a corner Subscriber

Power supply caps, a new relay, and relay driver transistors should do the trick. Install new differential pair transistors in the amps while you're at it.

catrafter and wlhd1610 like this.
  3. mbz

mbz AK Subscriber Subscriber

C807(220uf/10V), R816(390k) perform the timing for the power ON mute.
    Check each are still OEM and not replaced with anything significantly larger.
    Maybe C807 is leaking->longer to charge up, it's a long shot. Once charged
    C807 should turn ON H809 and H810, consider replacing these transistors.

4. sregor

sregor AK Subscriber Subscriber

+1 on previous post. Also C806 (10 uF 50v) can be bad. Will cause low supply voltage for protection circuit only, and slow or no operation and can be the cause of the buzzing too. . Can also be a tired relay but I've not seen it in these. YMMV

5. llwhtt

llwhtt Super Member

I vote for C806.

Craig

6. tranguru

tranguru Active Member

same here

luck
    R

7. Stratman

Stratman New Member

Ok, I recapped the board and the problem persists...

I think the relay itself is probably fine. Once it clicks, it works ok.

Next step would be replacing H809/H10, correct? The originals are 2SC1213A. Is this mouser an appropriate replacement? 512-KSC2383YTA

8. mbz

It's only for switching, so yes, also that list of transistor subs has the KSC2383 are a replacement.

Yep, however another long shot would be H808 failing c-e near short. If possible/if it can be done safely, maybe check the voltage
    at H809b at power on/relay activation, service manual has the base voltage climbing to about 1.25Vdc. Use a mini grabber or ...
    and measure at R816 or 817 or 815. If voltage is significantly less than 1.25Vdc then maybe H808 or ...(resistors?)

9. Stratman

Stratman New Member

R816 is measuring 375k and H809B across 816 is....40V? That can't be right. Are you sure you don't mean 808B?

I'm just going to replace all 3. 808 is a 2SC945, which the transistor replacement sheet indicates can also be replaced with KSC2383. Any reason to use a KSC945 instead? Thanks for the help.

10. mbz

Apology, don't like probing transistor legs, one slip... Was pointing out a suitable measurement point at one side of R816,,, rather than probing Q809b.
    All memasurements should be with black probe connected to chassis/GND. A sufficiently high voltage is required at Q809b to turn it on and then turn
    on H808.
    upload_2018-7-6_9-6-16.png

will check transistor subs shortly

11. mbz

Yeah, for H808, KSC945 is a better match, Will need KSC945C for ecb pinout.
    For H809, 810 (2SC1213) then you need something to cope with the larger
    currents, eg, KSC2383.

12. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

But but but....
    I don't see a measurement at the coil of the relay?
    That's the first step, divide and then conquer.
    It's an old relay and not airtight. does it pull in when proper voltage applied?

13. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

monitor dc offsets at power on . if it stabilises quickly to near zero volts check every voltage on protect circuit . looks more like bad solder or flaky transistor to me .

14. Stratman

Stratman New Member

Transistors are in the mail. Getting 1.2V at R816. Relay works fine otherwise as do the amps. Solder joints have all been reflown.

15. mbz

H809b as per sm. Looking more like slow to settle transients. Test L&R dc offset by measuring Vdc to GND at
    R811 and 812 or relay solder pads as shown, ie, power on amp then immediately measure/track voltage, may
    bounce around for the first 1-2 seconds however after 4-5 seconds it should be less than 100mV
    upload_2018-7-7_13-41-50.png

16. mbz

Ooops, H809b is ok, should measure H810b/c/e voltages to ground 5-10 seconds after power on.

17. Stratman

Stratman New Member

As we suspected, replaced H810 and 1...2...CLICK

Thanks all!

18. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

Well done.
    Now that it's finished, I'm surprised no one called out the "airtight" spec on relay. LOL, I made that up. Was going to defend with some air\oxidation thingy and try to have fun with it. I promise I would have stayed out of the way of real troubleshooting.