2275 phono quality

StyX

Lets go!
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a turntable to my 2275. But before I do that I just want to be sure it is worth it. Does any of you guys now about the quality of the phono section in the 2275? I currently don't have a turntable to test with :(

Thanks,
SX

I like the phono stage on my 2275, I just wish it had more than one input. I have 2 AR XA's I would like to hook into it.

Also, I think I read somewhere here that the 2275 phono section isn't compatible with ceramic cartridges.

You own a great receiver my friend. Rock it til' the wheels fall off...

:smoke: herbs

I'm listening to my 2275 as I read/write this... sounds very nice. I didn't know that about ceramic cartridges, but for others it sounds fine to me. :music:

Why would you want a ceramic cartridge ? There certainly are no provisions for one on most high quality receivers.

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds to me like I safely can go get that player!
Will probably look for a 6300 to match the 2275 style :banana:
And then get a Shure M97xE cartridge since I am under the impression they would make a nice match :yes:
But is the Shure M97xE ceramic or not? How to tell? I have never heard of ceramic cartridges before.

The Shure is excellent and it is magnetic as are most high quality cartridges. Ceramics are used in low quality record changers often with cheap consoles and low quality department store merchandise.

Ok, so it is a different principle used instead of MM/MC then? I had no clue. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Yes mc and mm phono are both magnetic. MC cartridges need additional gain provided by a pre preamplifier or a transformer. Some say mc cartridges are superior to the best mm, but I have found mc to be noisyer, more prone to hum and more problematic. The Shure is a mm and will plug directly into your Marantz.

Yes, MM and MC cartridges am I familiar with. But now I got curios about this ceramic cartridges. I tried to google for the principle without luck. Any body that knows how a ceramic cartridge works? how is the signal generated? technical stuff. :scratch2:

Piezoelectic

Google the piezoelectric effect for how ceramic cartridges work. Basically the stylus flexes a ceramic crystal and this produces voltage to be amplifed.

Back
Top Bottom