2275 Smoke filling dial glass

Chrisxo55441

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
i used my 2275 sunday and left it on, went to put an album on monday and hadnt even touched anything and smelled smoke looked at the front and i think the lights were dimmed but not sure it happened fast, but anyway i could see smoke filling the dial glass area and turned it off and unplugged. opened it up top and bottom and took off the faceplate and exposed the fuse lights. didnt see anything burned. took the tone board out and checked that and nothing burned on it. checked the other boards not removing them including the am/fm and found no sign of burned caps, transistors or resistors. the burn smell was strongest in top front. i found what looks like the board behind the fuse light was charred. im assuming that this was where the smoke came from. i plugged it in and turned it on all the lights lit up and the relay clicked on and no more smoke, havent tested functions yet. its been a couple of years since i cleaned pots and switches but is it possible old deoxit or fader lube could have been on it and heated up? or did it just short out bad solder joint maybe. anyone seen this before?

IMG_20180910_213337 (800x600).jpg IMG_20180910_213337 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
Some Marantz receivers have a fiber washer under the indicator lamp circuit board screws to prevent the head of the screw from shorting out a foil trace which is really close.
Maybe its not there and a minute amount of vibration caused it to move?

Dial pointer light wiring frayed and shorted when spinning the flywheel?

Nothing was accidentally spilled in at some point would be another guess.

Bob

hooked it back up and ran for a couple hours last night and it sounded awesome as usual so no harm appears to have been done and no more smoke it still has a strong burn smell so will try cleaning that area next and see if i can get a better look at it

Back
Top Bottom