2285 filter caps

yohalfprice

So, I think that is what I need. I pulled the cover and bottom plate and noticed some leakage from one of the filter caps. See pics, incl. bottom view.

Can anyone help with recommending suitable replacements?

Is this a reasonable DIY project? I have a decent soldering station but not much experience using it.

Thanks

DSC_3264a.jpg

DSC_3263a.jpg

How wide are the caps? (in mm) Then look for a 15,000uF 63V cap in that width on Digikey, Mouser, or Newark.

Just put a pair of 15,000uF 63v caps in my 2285 last week, I used Digikey part # 338-2037-ND. They are snap-in type but I soldered 14ga eyelets to the terminals and they fit perfectly.
There is a thread in this forum (can't find it now) that shows how it was done. Pretty sure its in one of the rebuild threads, very easy to do.

Edit - found a picture using the ring terminals. Looks like the same caps I put in except I used four rings for ease of assembly.

P1153122-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I used a couple of these and they fit perfectly

Kemet 15000 63 volt, 51 X 82 mm at $20.00 each. Mouser part# ALS30A153KE063

I used a couple of these and they fit perfectly

Kemet 15000 63 volt, 51 X 82 mm at $20.00 each. Mouser part# ALS30A153KE063

Thanks for the info all. I won't be able to get to this project for about a month but will report back on my glorious success then. ;)

Completed this over the weekend, thanks to those who helped out. I think the sound is virtually indistinguishable from what is was before, perhaps a tiny bit more detail but I'll have to do more listening at different times of day to see if there really is a difference.

May I suggest leaving your unit on for a while? Even if you're not listenening at the time. See if you notice any difference in sound after a few hours of run time.

You'll be able to discuss the "capacitor burn-in" argument on whether or not it does sound better than it first does after changing the caps.

Back
Top Bottom