2285 okay with A & B both running?

Redtail

So I picked up a pretty Marantz 2285 last weekend from the original owner's son - the unit sat in a basement built in for the last 30 years virtually untouched. Anyhow, now i've got it in my crappy little Ikea stand and I've found my system sounds best with my ADC boxes and the JBL moniters running at the same time. I never really turn the volume up past 10 (around 80 db) so do you think I'm hurting the receiver at that volume? Should I just try to find a set of speakers that sounds good by themselves? thanks.

O and some pictures just for fun!
IMG_6897.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

the ADC with a JBL on top:
IMG_6900.jpg

I think it will be alright/ I have been running my 2265B using both A\B speakers, with no ill effect for years.

yeah i already got scolded for that over in the turntable section. It's only been like that for 2 days, so I doubt it's created any problem so far.

I'm going to take a jigsaw to the stand tonight and cut a hole in the top the same size as the one in the Marantz wood cases. I also put together a 12vdc muffin fan on 9vdc power from spare parts today - I'll mount that up when I get the stand cut up tonight.

Glad I posted these pictures and got my butt kicked into gear about it!

So I'm running it at a 4 ohm load then? Is that okay?

I'm planning to recap those ADC speakers and hopefully I can get rid of the JBL monitors after that, so maybe i'll just pick a pair to run until then.

Obviously I needed a bit of talking to so I would get moving and modify my stand to keep the receiver in good shape. I'm new to the vintage audio game and looking to learn - constructive criticism is often worth far more than praise. :banana:

Okay - I got the stand braced up and a vent stuck into the top so she can BREATHE!!!!

My muffin fan will get mounted tomorrow when I put everything back together. I'll probably use a couple magnets and set the fan on top of the 85's case so it's pointing straight down onto the heatsink. I'll use a dryer sheet as a filter / room air freshener.
IMG_1708.jpg

Okay - I got the stand braced up and a vent stuck into the top so she can BREATHE!!!!

My muffin fan will get mounted tomorrow when I put everything back together. I'll probably use a couple magnets and set the fan on top of the 85's case so it's pointing straight down onto the heatsink. I'll use a dryer sheet as a filter / room air freshener.
IMG_1708.jpg

Hi,Your Marantz is sure purty, ain't it! I once had the rare 2285B Black Face. That was a real stunner, and the actual Unit I once owned can be seen on Ben Blish's Vintage Marantz Site. It was I who donated the picture to Ben, as well as the pic of the matching 5025 Black Face Cassette Deck.

I gotta honestly say though, you gotta dump that Rack!
Even if you drilled enough holes to make it look like a piece of Swiss Cheese, that unit's giving off heat not only from the top, but will give off heat from its sides, and even the bottom. Plus you're running some of that heat right up into your Turntable.

The Pancake fan will do only so much, usually becomes nothing more than a dust concentrator and the other downside of having to resort to the Pancake Fan is background noise.

I have seen lately, that Wally World has started carrying some really nice attractive Racks in thier furniture Dept, the prices aren't too expensive, and some are closely similar in size to what you currently have, just in case space is an issue.

About running the two pair of speakers. yes, the Unit will work harder, get a bit hotter, but shouldn't be a problem.

A consideration to remember, is that you are in essence halving your power-wattage output to each speaker.

While this shouldn't create any problems at moderate volume levels, if you decide one day to really crank the living heck out of the reciever, you could drive the reciever into clipping, and this can be damaging to your speakers. Keep that in mind. Mark

Yup....PIE is in force (power = I * E or power = E * E / r ). I would give the 2285 more room to vent...regardless of any holes you may drill.

jk

Markd51 - I understand what you're saying, but I'll be mounting more vents on the side of the unit soon, and also venting the shelf that it sits on as well. As it sits, I don't really see how it's any worse than the WC-22 case that Marantz sold:

d1a6_3.JPG

The Marantz only has vents on the top and bottom - none on the sides. Anyway, I know this stand is pretty ugly, but I'm a little short on funds right now and plan to build a more permanent stand in 6 months or so anyway.

For a receiver I plan to use on regular basis and with a 4 ohm load.... I would not use a wood case....

I have a 2270 in a wood case that I use once in a blue moon... Just turning it on with no volume it gets very warm after some time... When I used it as my main receiver a few years ago...it was without a case... No matter how hard I drove it, it would never get warm ...at all.

My two cents.... Wood cases are very nice....but not for a reciever you plan to drive hard.... Also, I think the units that melted the light baffles were in wood cases.....

Just my two cents....

jk

Your statement doesn't make sense to me. Running 2 pairs of speakers the unit will work harder hotter but halving the power to each speaker? Are you sure about that? :scratch2: If the A&B terminals are wired in series and he is using 8ohm speakers then the load will be 16ohms (power distributed to each speaker) Aren't the A&B terminals paralleled though? So the load becomes 4ohms (unit will work harder) and in this case the current demand increases along with the power. An ideal amp will DOUBLE its power in this situation but most aren't ideal.

I trust you'll recognize, that there's no free lunch.

Would you then think, that by hooking four Speakers to a 2285 at 85wpc in stereo, that somehow miraculously, this reciever will now be throwing 170 wpc per speaker x 4?

I'm no Nelson Pass, or Bob Carver, but you surely won't be doubling power to each speaker. MArk

For a receiver I plan to use on regular basis and with a 4 ohm load.... I would not use a wood case....

My two cents.... Wood cases are very nice....but not for a reciever you plan to drive hard.... Also, I think the units that melted the light baffles were in wood cases.....

Just my two cents....

jk

Oh man I didn't think that something Marantz sold to compliment their equipment would be potentially harmful. It makes sense though. I think I'll add some more venting to this stand, add the muffin fan and only drive one set of speakers at a time (I just picked up a pair of AR4x). I'll keep a close eye on the temps until I get a better stand built.

FWIW I don't plan to drive this receiver hard at all - my normal listening levels are around 75db, and I never go above 85db (about 10 o'clock on the volume dial).

You may like to install your fan so that it pulls air in from the bottom of the receiver, since that is the direction that convection would move it.

Actually I mounted one in the case facing the side of the receiver with the heat sinks, I'm thinking about mounting another as an exhaust fan if I need it.
IMG_1732.jpg

I have a temperature probe set on top of the receiver right now, showing room temp by the fan up to 85 degrees on the far end of the receiver. Anyone know what the safe temperature range that these can run at is?

I would suggest using that one in such a way that it pulls air out of the cabinet rather than blowing it in.

Back
Top Bottom