2285B No BIAS (Driving me nuts)

The relay, though new, could still be the issue. I know that member Catrafter got ahold of a few from a bad batch a couple of years ago of some model number although I can't remember which. I think they were an Omron MY2 variant.

I've not had a problem with new relays in the past year or so, FWIW.

Tom

Follow up:

I changed all the 1345 transistors in the pre and it became a lot quieter (Way less hiss at the tweeters). Also discovered a cap installed backwards. CH16 in PE01 board. A small 10uf 25v lytic.

I ran the amp for a couple of hours and it worked well. Today in the morning turned it on and the right channel was dead.

Decided to grab the signal generator an the scope and take measures:
Dummy loaded the left channel works fine and goes til 26.7v AC wich equates (Grossly) to about 89 watts before clipping.

Right channel stays silent no signal coming out of the amp either feeding signal to 'main in' or 'aux in'.

.....Well, pulled out the iPod and ran some tones trough both of the inputs and it decides to work well. Switched to some Jazz and both channels operate as normal.

DC offset and Bias work as expected.
Signal is being properly Injected and can confirm using pin 721 and 701 @P700 board Wich correspond to 'Main in output'.

At this point I'm puzzled my bucks are at a incorrectly biased transistor somewhere in the P700 board.

Now, I'm gonna ask a pretty dumb question but how critical is to match the transistor gain specifications in the sm?
I'm wondering if this circuit was designed with pretty tight margins.....

I had some problems with 2285B (including this one from my picture) due to improper maintenance and cold welds or broken tracks on the power amplifier board.
I know it may sound stupid what I'm going to say, but do not forget to compare the L-channel voltages to the R, so that you eliminate at least at what stage the polarization is not occurring.
Base and emitter Q001~004 or Q005 ~008 what voltage ?

I've found the issue (Mostly).
I gather by your name that you're from Brazil, South America. Right? (I did read about your own issue with the 2285B)

This is important because of the following:

The replacements I used for pre drivers and drivers were sourced locally, more specifically MJE15032 and C3421.
It turns out these were FAKE. Chunk FAKE PIECE OF GARBAGE.

I discovered this after injecting/following a generated sinewave as far as I could and then, all of sudden the channel woke up but had 200mV of DC at the output.

I remebered immediately that I sourced these parts locally, so I took them out, gathered the drivers of my Frankestein 2270 and the amp was back as normal.
Oh I do have a small buzz in my dead channel tweeters but this is WAY better than having nothing at all.

Went to ask the electronics shop about these parts but all they were willing to say is: 'No warranty for electronics parts'.

This however is a cancer eating South America as a whole: we've got loads of Chinese garbage and owners don't care if they cause damage to you by selling this BS.

Back
Top Bottom