.22uf vs .33uf coupling cap difference?

kray

HE>i
I'm going to upgrade the coupling caps in my tube amp to Mundorf Supremes, but can't decide on .22 or .33

I've read that there are sonic differences, but wondering if anyone could advise?

I would reccomend the stock value. Sometimes shifting that around can cause low frequency stability issues.

Nutshell is that the 0.33 will pass lower frequencies, but without the rest of the schematic, exactly how much lower is hard to say. Likely not going to be audible.

with larger caps, in coupling circuits, you are lowering the f3 point. IOW more lower bass
frequencies. in exchange you need to look at the other parts of the amp design.

search audio basics, from Van alstine, on his articles on this for the Dynaco ST70, then
apply to your amp - hopefully you have the schematic or without it, you can trace the
circuit.

I would reccomend the stock value. Sometimes shifting that around can cause low frequency stability issues.

Nutshell is that the 0.33 will pass lower frequencies, but without the rest of the schematic, exactly how much lower is hard to say. Likely not going to be audible.

Thanks. I believe the stock is .22

If the coupling stage is part of the feedback loop there can be stability issues and I recommend sticking to stock value unless you know how to read schematics. Also, although higher capacitance lowers pass frequency and you may think you may get more bass, this may not necessarily be the case where negative feedback is employed.

Back
Top Bottom