2325 FM IF P200 board

wurlyman

Crazy thing just discovered. I'm recapping the FM IF board and c260 which should have a 1uF/35v, either lytic or tantalum has nothing. No cap ever in there, yet the FM has worked fine all these years. Can anyone explain this? Now I don't know if I should put in the new cap or not._DSC0322.JPG

I've seen 2 different versions of the P200 boards in 2275 /2325 units some have a few extra caps like that ,some don't.
There are a couple of other slight differences also.
They all work fine.

Bob

I've seen 2 different versions of the P200 boards in 2275 /2325 units some have a few extra caps like that ,some don't.
There are a couple of other slight differences also.
They all work fine.

Bob

So to answer my question, you think I should not put the cap in, right Bob? And to follow up on that, what would happen if I did?

There are other component modifications besides that missing cap.
As I recall there are a few different resistors and even a couple of factory jumpers installed.
Putting in a cap that was intentionally left out by a production revision may cause a problem.
I can take some pics of the two different component layouts on the P200.

Bob

Here are two P200 boards.
Both out of 2325's.
The bottom board being from the last year of 2325 production.
WIXHD5v.jpg

The top board does have a 1uf tantalum factory installed for C260...
pNvq013.jpg

The bottom board(which I have already recapped using Panasonic ECQ 1uf poly films in place of C256 andC261) does not have a C260.
kEKbI0A.jpg
You can also see other variants such as 4 factory installed jumpers(with white sleeves) and the top board with only one present on the bottom board.

Another "tell"is when you see a component "missing" is to look at the underside and see if the unused holes are "wave soldered"over from the factory or if they actually look as if a component was there at some point in time and someone removed it.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
My board is a little different than either of yours. I have two white jumpers, both near the upper left quadrant. Three square ceramics in the area of c260 labeled G204,etc. These are listed in the service manual under miscellaneous _DSC0323.JPG as Printed Compo's. Since there were variations of the board I think I will take your advise and not use the cap. Thanks again - Stu

Back
Top Bottom