2325 push switch problem

Well I told myself not to do it but could not get it clean otherwise so I removed the plastic stick inside. Now I've lost 2 of the small springs. As I see it I have several options at this point.
1, Buy a switch and replace the stick. This would be the easiest solution however an exact 2325 switch has not appeared on eBay and I'm not sure which other switch would be a good replacement. The one I need has 6 contacts total 3 on each side.
2, Try and find springs to replace the ones lost. Could the springs be glued in place?
3, Use something other than a springs to supply the needed contact tension like a small wad of solder wick glued in place.
Any advice on how to best address the problem would be appreciated.

Soundslave, PM me for springs.

I'd like to hear what tricks others use to hold the springs and contacts in place before reinserting. My method might not be the best...I put a tiny dab of grease on the spring, being careful not to get any on the contact. It is just enough to keep the little buggers from flying back out. And not enough grease to affect anything else.

If that doesn't work I'll steal one from my collection of donor boards - the whole switch that is.

Or what you can do if your feeling dangerous and want to clean more switches. Is go on digikey and buy a bunch of switches for 2 bucks a pop and if you loose any of the original springs or contacts you can just pull them off the digikey ones.That happened to me once where I lost the springs so I just cannibalized the digikey switch and actually just replaced the whole stem very carefully, they are a perfect fit.

Joshstereo thanks for the info do you have a link, part number or the manufacturer of the switch your speaking of as there are over 1000 pages of switches at digikey

I use this 401-1223-ND, this 401-1226-ND or this CKN9666-ND. The shorter one has just 2 contacts and springs the middle one has 4 and the longer one has 6. With the 6 contact switch you can try to slide the whole stem out and slide it in the marantz switch very steady. It was easier for me to do that then to place all 6 springs and contacts back in their slots.

Wow. Brand new replacement shafts for broken push button switches. So salvage ones are not needed. Thank you Joshstereo!

Wow. Brand new replacement shafts for broken push button switches. So salvage ones are not needed. Thank you Joshstereo!
Ya I was trying to clean one that just wouldnt get clean, in the process I lost the springs and ended up putting in a whole brand new stem. I guess I was too lazy to desolder and re solder the whole thing but just replacing the stem with the new contacts and springs did the trick, no more cutting out sounds.

Here are clip spring holders for swapping push button switch shafts. These hold the spring back so that you can take out the clip that holds the shaft in. And it makes putting them back much easier. AK'r Tim Cartier made these for me in small, medium, and large sizes.

clip spring holders.JPG clip spring holder small.JPG clip spring holder large.JPG

Thanks everyone for your help in getting this switch back together. Sorry for the late response I've been sick for most of the last month. Anyway what I ended up doing was buying a new switch and swapping out the shaft. Tried the new springs that runningdog sent me without success. Thanks runningdog for your effort. Now I need to deal with it going in and out of protection.

I was referred to this thread by Steven Tate. I will add a similar repair I affected to my 2238B. When I pulled my 2238B out of a 25+ year long storage, it had a few problems. I performed a general cleaning, used Doxit to clean the pots, replaced the lamps and broken feet, and I also had to make a repair to the ‘A’ speaker button. I don’t know the proper terminology, but the channel button has a long rod that connects to an actuator and the connecting bracket had broken. I fabricated a new bracket out of aluminum and epoxied it in place. It works like a champ now. Attached is a photo. (that's my daughter's hair clip holding it in place while the epoxy cured). At the time (about 4-5 years ago) I found a complete rod/actuator/switch on e-bay for the 2238B, but I thought the price was rather exorbitant at around $100.00. After all the repairs and the cleaning, the unit sounded, and continues to sound, outstanding and all functionality has been restored.

TnYw3iK.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom