2325 transformer goes "boiing" when powered on

runningdog

The transformer on this Marantz 2325 makes a noise for a second when powered on. Like a "boiing" springy kind of sound. Not every time it is turned on. Maybe 1/2 the time. Sometimes several times in a row, sometimes not. It is definitely the transformer as I can feel it as well as hear it. It feels like a spring boiing in there.

The power switch is new and has a new snubber. The filter caps are new. I don't hear this noise on either of the other 2325's here. Or any other model that I can remember.

What besides the fuse is there to fix in the 2325 transformer?

After the boing sound, does it power up normally and work?

I'm thinking "inrush surge" and loose winding or lamination within the transformer.
I agree as well. The inrush current is creating an instantaneous magnetic field, which is disrupting a loose part. Two solutions, replace the transformer, or, to be blunt, put up with it. As long as it's working I wouldn't worry about it. Actually there's a third solution, take it apart and rebuild it, which is more tedious than replacing it.

Rarely, it's just loose screws either through the transformer bells or holding the transformer or the transfomer 'well' to the chassis.

Tom

Rarely, it's just loose screws either through the transformer bells or holding the transformer or the transfomer 'well' to the chassis.

Tom
Yup.
Actually I've found (via my job in another industry) that the bolts holding the plates get slightly loose, then the lamination on the plates will crack\break. Tightening the bolts once in awhile stop the buzzing (buzzing for me, not a boiinG), but generally not.

Thanks everyone.

I tightened up the screws, and replaced the Quencharc snubber with another one, no effect.

I think I'm going to live with this one the way it is.

One man's boing is another man's buzz.

:)

avionic's on it i think. long ago, the fix for buzzy windings was to shove a toothpick in the offending area (really, the factories even did it) which most often fixed it. you may not have that option if your xfmr is the enclosed type.

same here,my 2325 completly recapped in 2013, has the same issue.
today the power switch ,that was changed then ,does not work.
have to plug/unplug to power on/off..?

Back
Top Bottom