1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

24/96 vs 24/192

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by moejr, Nov 30, 2016.

1. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

duplicate post

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Active Member

I believe 6Moons or someone did a review of one, and they indeed found a slight but clearly measurable (and no doubt audible) high-end roll-off.

EDIT: Here's the Stereophile review. Measurements show frequency response shockingly un-flat for a CD player, and listening impressions talk about rolled-of treble.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-playstation-1-cd-player-measurements#jYqUDxDU2VMwo95e.97

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-playstation-1-cd-player-page-2#gz4M4bH17I3b5QCL.97

Tom Bombadil and SoNic67 like this.
  3. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

Thanks for the link. I find it astounding that Art Dudley liked how the PS1 sounded. To me, that totally discredits him as a trustworthy reviewer of audio equipment. Well, perhaps not because he liked it, but that he didn't point out how it changes the music so much. In my system, and when listening to my favorite demo songs, which I have used to evaluate probably 50 or more pieces of audio gear, I was shocked at how different these songs sounded vis a vis every other piece of gear I have ever listened to. How some instruments faded into the background, voices came forward, the bass was warmer, the soundstage was dramatically altered.

This was true for both PS1s and when inserted into my primary system with the same preamp, amp, and speakers which I have used to compare 12 to 15 other CD players and DACs.

I can understand someone liking this effect. Many people complain about how CDs sound harsh, bright, and/or lean. The PS1 certainly takes care of those issues.

I appreciate how the Stereophile measurements capture the high noise floor and how the player really has only 14 bits of resolution. Perhaps this is a factor in how I perceived it's imaging to be inferior.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. rolltide

rolltide Super Member

Art Dudley isn't a big fan of digital (or at least prefers analog in all cases), so it might not be surprising that he enjoys a CD player that has a sort of non-traditional, non-HiFi sound to it.

As to this discrediting him, he tends to review low power tube gear, vintage-style analog products (heavy tonearms, idler wheels, pickup heads, etc), and high efficiency speakers. If this isn't your wheelhouse, I can't see one having much use for what he writes about one way or the other. If I found myself in the market for a ultra-detailed DAC, I don't think I'd solicit his opinion. When I was shopping for a 12" tonearm, on the other hand, I read every word he had to say on the subject.

tmtomh likes this.