25,000 lp collection

I have seen the stax of wax, and it is still there. As usual, some people need to take a chill pill while the real owner decides what he wants to do. Steve is taking care of his family, his job, and life in general as he sorts through a very large collection. To be blunt, MYOB while he takes care of his, and then decides a course of action. :smoke:

I have seen the stax of wax, and it is still there. As usual, some people need to take a chill pill while the real owner decides what he wants to do. Steve is taking care of his family, his job, and life in general as he sorts through a very large collection. To be blunt, MYOB while he takes care of his, and then decides a course of action. :smoke:

wow, sorry for asking, I was just curious.......

Geez Dave... fall outta the bed this morning? The thread is public, so why such a harsh way to say it's still in the works?

Hey guys. I still have these records and have been spending as much time as possible sorting through them. Seperating the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I have sorted through about 7,000 so far. I work a full time job, plus run a small business on the side, so it takes a while. Plus, sometimes I just need to rest my 56 year old bones.

Here are my current plans. My oldest son has had something very major happen in his life and we are helping him plan an attack on raising the funds needed to get this tough situation behind him. This collection will be our main resource for doing so.

While I wish I could take the time and list a bunch of records here on AK that I would be willing to sell for little money, that would be FAR too time consuming, along with the time and effort to ship 1-10 records to many different locations. With what is going on, that is not going to happen at this point. I am going to start out listing the higher end and rarer stuff on eBay to try to get the maximum $ to help my son. Once the necessary funds are raised, then I may take the time to do it differently.

For those that are interested in the auctions (none listed yet and it still may be a little while) my eBay user name is the same as my name here on AK. I signed up for Auctiva yesterday and last night I bought a seperate card for my wifes digital camera so I can take pics and won't have to sort through the 500 or so that she already has on hers.

If anyone lives close enough to me to wanna drive down and go through the ones I have already go through,you are welcome to PM me and we can set up a time. Just plan on arriving early and staying late, as it takes a while to go through the 7,000 or so I have ready.

I am also going to list the non-eBay (don't have the time for eBay for all of these) on CL in large metro areas within driving distance of my location. Hopefully this will help to quickly generate the funds needed to help my son. I can say that 99% of the vinyl in this collection so far appears to be M- or very close to it. Actually I don't recall seeing a scratch yet.

Hey Dave, thank you for having my back, but it is all good. I know you are aware of what is going on and I appreciate you trying to help. You are a good man.

Steve

I wish you the best with it, and hope everything turns out well for your son. Things happen for reasons, and it sounds like this collection coming your way may have been purpose filled....

I couldn't imagine trying to sort through and move out a collection the size you're talking about. I can't even keep my 3000 or so in order. You got more gumption than I do. Hats off to you!

Thanks for the update, Steve...it sounds like you have a solid plan worked out. How fortuitous to get this collection...right when you needed it the most. Sounds like Karma to me. We'll be watching for your auctions & ready to do our share.

I will absolutely keep an eye on your auctions - I am always on the hunt for 80's pop and from what you posted it sounds like you have lots of it.

Sorry about that, I just had a guy fired over a client photo that was posted on his facebook page, with a similar public thread vein. I have been very cranky and testy the last two days, and didn't mean for it to show to folks it wasn't meant to be directed. :thmbsp:

We all have bad weeks Dave... Go eat a bunch of that turkey and chase it with your favorite drink and enjoy the day. Sounds like you deserve it.....

It was a donated collection of a DJ who passed away about 6 years ago. It has not been gone through or cherry picked and was donated to a youth organization by the deceased brother.
.... can you imagine how well these LPs could have helped that youth group ? It could have been a great learning project where they would profit,not just money but real life experience about earning money.

It was a donated collection of a DJ who passed away about 6 years ago. It has not been gone through or cherry picked and was donated to a youth organization by the deceased brother.
.... can you imagine how well these LPs could have helped that youth group ? It could have been a great learning project where they would profit,not just money but real life experience about earning money.

I would imagine from a youth groups perspective this is a ton (multiple tons I guess) of work that probably no one in the building knows the first thing about.

I'm 29, have a healthy appreciation for vinyl and this is still way, way out of my league.

dont get me wrong I would have loved to have been the one scoring this deal, but it would take me YEARS to even sort through it and figure out which ones were worth money. and thats with a vague idea of what to look for.

$300 compared to thousands,maybe many thousands. Just makes NO sense to me to not take the time to learn along the way and gain expererience and moolah at the same time. After selling 5 albums they would get the hang of it.Hell,they would start making money on shipping too. At that age they are very experienced about how the internet operates anyways. They blew a great resource for making money. Just my personal opinion .

Nolan, I agree with what you are saying. I think the guy was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the collection. I told him of my interest in stereo gear along with vinyl and he said his brother is an audiophile and he himself has some knowledge of records. He told me that he had looked through several of the boxes and saw nothing that he considered having value. He did the youth thing part time, and being it was in a small town may have only had a handful of kids in this youth organization. Plus, once it was donated I imagine the monthly storage bill went with the collection and the thought of a $65-$75 a month bill wasn't appealing. Getting rid of it this way was viewed as easy quick cash.

Nolan, I agree with what you are saying. I think the guy was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the collection. I told him of my interest in stereo gear along with vinyl and he said his brother is an audiophile and he himself has some knowledge of records. He told me that he had looked through several of the boxes and saw nothing that he considered having value. He did the youth thing part time, and being it was in a small town may have only had a handful of kids in this youth organization. Plus, once it was donated I imagine the monthly storage bill went with the collection and the thought of a $65-$75 a month bill wasn't appealing. Getting rid of it this way was viewed as easy quick cash.

I understand what you are saying. It just amazes me they dropped the ball by never putting any effort into making a profit. They could have made out well,it would have been alot of work of course...but work is how money is made. I guess being 48 years old and paying my own way through life gives me a different perspective.

Oh well,you did fine. Congrats!

Sorry about that, I just had a guy fired over a client photo that was posted on his facebook page, with a similar public thread vein. I have been very cranky and testy the last two days, and didn't mean for it to show to folks it wasn't meant to be directed. :thmbsp:

???? Who fired who and for what reason. Very cryptic, nevermind. Take a couple of days and think about how to redirect your misdirected hostilities.

I guess being 48 years old and paying my own way through life gives me a different perspective.

Oh well,you did fine. Congrats!

Nolan, I am 56 and have been doing very physical type work since I was 13. Everything in life that I have, I have busted my butt for. So maybe our perspectives aren't that different. No silver spoon here.

I am sure the guy I bought this stuff from isn't losing any sleep over it and was relieved when it was gone. 99.9% of the population wouldn't have taken it if it was given to them. I was a .1%er who happens to love this stuff.

The storage bill and the size of the town is an issue well worth considering. I know the town well, it's close to the town where I work. All things considered, finding someone to get this stuff out of their way without racking up a huge storage unit bill was probably their best option.

Quite frankly, judging by some of the musical attitudes here, there are quite a few AKers who would have reacted the same way as the deceased DJ's brother when initially viewing the collection. There is a lot of 80s pop/dance music and unusual, early rap and very little jazz or classic rock.

Nolan, I am 56 and have been doing very physical type work since I was 13. Everything in life that I have, I have busted my butt for. So maybe our perspectives aren't that different. No silver spoon here.

I am sure the guy I bought this stuff from isn't losing any sleep over it and was relieved when it was gone. 99.9% of the population wouldn't have taken it if it was given to them. I was a .1%er who happens to love this stuff.

Understood,I was not trying to offend you. Silverspoon ? me either.:thmbsp:

I suck at conveying my messages on the web,one of my many faults.:yes:

I am one of those guys that chisels away at things to make a profit. What I was trying to say is I thought those kids could have learned/gained something in the process of selling the LPs.

I am a .1%er like you,would have dove on that in a heart beat. My wife and kids cringe every time I say roadtrip...what the hell is dad up to now?:D

I just sold a commercial Vulcan stove that I just had to have because it was cheap. Replaced my front door to get it in the house,only to find out it would not fit in the kitchen....long story. My wife still loves me though.:D Funny thing,she bought me a tape measure to keep in the truck after that deal.

Back
Top Bottom