$25 Component Tester - Too good to be true?!

After rebuilding the Marantz ,The HFE value was really useful .

They have there draw backs ..but like every multi-tool .. the more functions you cram in a space ..some things have to be discarded.

Seriously? Degrade or limit? Only if you spend most of your bench time checking caps for ESR.

It won't test for GSR at all, so I guess it is quite useless in that regard:D.

It won't test for GSR at all, so I guess it is quite useless in that regard:D.

Most ESR testers I have run across are capable of testing for ESR in-circuit. This is very handy when faced with a piece of equipment with a large number of electrolytics to test. But some are only capable of testing for ESR out-of-circuit which means unsoldering the electrolytic to test it which is a pain--especially if one has dozens or hundreds to test. My Sencore LC-76, for instance, is a lovely instrument but only tests for ESR out-of-circuit.

What is GSR?

Rick

Last edited:
So, out of all this (apart from the Gun Shot Residue (those CSI shows et al have become sooooo predictable)), what is recommended as the easy to use/newbie/useful duffa/gadget to buy? Always looking for an easier/less$ (read 'scope).

"what is recommended as the easy to use/newbie/useful duffa/gadget to buy?"

They're so cheap you may as well buy one and play around with it.

Peak ESR meter: $200+
Cheap Chinese meter: $30 delivered

I got one as soon as I was this thread and have had a fine time point through my parts bin just to see how it does. I love it. I havent modded it like many here but it seems to be a real tool and very useful. Thanks!

Works great, bought from eBay.

zl8390.jpg

r77mkl.jpg

Measurement capability:

L, C (ESR), R, Fets, BJTs, Diodes.

OK, I have to admit I'm confused on the socket inputs. Does it make any difference what two sockets are chosen for a capacitor, diode or resistor test or what three are chosen for a transistor test? It seems you have the negative attached to pin 1, positive to pin 2 and your blue lead to 3.

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

From a test I just did, it does make a difference what sockets you plug a component into. My socket is 180 degrees reversed from yours and the pin readout on the board from left to right is 1233123 (I didn't see the pin layout initially as it is partially hidden behind the input socket). If I plug a capacitor in the third and fourth holes from the left (3 and 3) I get the message that the device is bad. If I just use pins 1, 2 and 3 for transistor tests and lets say 1 and 2 for diodes, capacitors and resistors, everything works fine. It seems I can use 1 and 3 as well as 2 and 3 for diodes, caps and resistors... just not 1 and 1 (first and fifth holes), 2 and 2 (2nd and sixth holes) or 3 and 3 (third fourth and seventh holes) which all seems to make sense now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW, on my unit the "power on" button is a bit flakey. The unit sometimes powers on with one push or click though usually requires a rapid double click. No big deal though sometimes annoying. It seems to give consistent results on re-tests.

Can someone explain capacitor Vloss or point me to a place that has an explanation? Thanks.

Attachments

• ESR.jpg
    ESR.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 191
  • diode.jpg
    diode.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 179
  • transistor.jpg
    transistor.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 178
  • resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
just not 1 and 1 (first and fifth holes), 2 and 2 (2nd and sixth holes) or 3 and 3 (third fourth and seventh holes) which all seems to make sense now.

There are actually three lines off the microcontroller that are used for testing, I I think it's PB/PA 0-2; but we'll just call them 1, 2, and 3. The socket is wired so that multiple pins are connected together. a lot of them have three pins in sequential order, the rest are three, and the bottom two is split between connections 2 and 3. That just makes it easier to put parts in the sockets when they're odd sizes.

It matters which pins on the socket you use; as they're not all wired to different inputs; but it doesn't matter which inputs you use.

Is VLoss just a function of the ESR? Mine must be running older software; I don't get a VLoss. But I also don't have the large LCD screen yours uses. I avoided the big screen with symbols when I read they couldn't be upgraded with the standard code base(es) that are out there; that LCD requires special programming.

I don't know where you found those PDF's, because even when I was looking at a supposed repository of the software; I didn't see any. It did tell me why there were features missing from mine...my software is too old! I'll have to work on getting me some fresh AT328s I guess.

Is VLoss just a function of the ESR?

It's kind of explained in section 5.3.6 of the pdf doc though I'm still scratching my head. :)

I don't know where you found those PDF's, because even when I was looking at a supposed repository of the software; I didn't see any. It did tell me why there were features missing from mine...my software is too old! I'll have to work on getting me some fresh AT328s I guess.

I found them here:

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/AVR_Transistortester

If you scroll down to the Downloads in English you'll find a link to the software directory where you downloaded the pdfs.

I just received my mk168 transistor tester but I don't know what the readings mean when I test a transistor. It comes up; NPN 123=BEC B=291 Uf=659mv
Could someone explain what this into means? Is the transistor good, bad or what. I confused.

it states you put base in pin 1 (of some socket or the lead is called one), emitter in 2, and collector in 3. , base-emitter voltage is 659 mV (nice to know if matching transistors). hfe = 291 so you are probably testing a small high hfe transistor

Back
Top Bottom