$25 Component Tester - Too good to be true?!

Do you mean DL'ing it from the web, or installing in to your tester?

I suspect that considering the cost in time, effort, and H/W interfaces required, it would be much easier to order a new one unless you expect to do this several times.

Hello. I admit I'm not reading the 100 posts on this thread, but I have one of this small boards, still "under test", and noticed that the ESR readings on large capacitors, is far from what the "books" say it should be. It reads too high, a new capacitor gives values of a "bad" capacitor.

I'm reading here about a calibration process, but I didn't do any calibration, I just received the board without any instructions, and started to measure components.

Should I calibrate it in some way? Is there any user manual on the web?

My unit looks like this one: (no affiliation)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Transis...e-Resistor-Meter-NPN-PNP-Mosfet-/181911567748

Should I calibrate it in some way? Is there any user manual on the web?

200w83t.gif
calibration for $5.59.

Well, the answer to my question is at post #97, with a link to another forum, where at reply #12 a PDF file is linked with the detailed calibration process, and detailed intructions on how to use the device.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Transis...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e6149976

I considered buying the one above. Absolutely amazing piece. I finally sold off my GenRad 1650 (too cumbersome) and have been looking for a Genrad Digibridge I could afford to replace it. Thing is, I don't need that much bridge. I am most interested in using this module on 10uF & under caps for uF & ESR and on mH loudspeaker inductors.

(1) How is the measurement vs. mfg. spec. for cap uF & ESR? (Missed that while scanning if it was mentioned.)

(2) Also, has anyone tried this on a Henry+ inductor such as in a tube amp power supply?

I just stumbled across this thread. I just bought a couple of these for xmas presents to a few ak friends.

. Steve & Bell, You have done a fantastic job you did on your case fabrication! :thumbsup:

I bought a peak Atlas Pro a few years ago and i love it. it has saved my butt a few times with transistor leg identification

Lol....just stumbled upon this trend. I am at my third one. First one lost it to a charged cap; second was an older model measuring capacitance up to 20,000uf (still have it); third one is the newest model, just got it a couple of months ago. I could not be more happy. I will be getting an enclosure for it soon. I do recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap components meter.

Last edited:
Picked up one from the bay, came with battery holder and leads with mini clips, about 16 bucks. Looked a little odd right off with no symbols or writing on the back, no info on software/names on the display. Tested a couple components, readings all over the place. Cap ESR readings all at 0. Did the calibration self test, helped the resistance readings, but a 1000 uf cap reads out at over 2500 uf, most smaller caps read some high too. Getting a readout on ESR, hard to tell if it is even in the ball park. I'm guessing this was a factory second or reject? Leave it to me to get stuck. Pretty handy leads and clips, not $16 handy though.

I just wanted to throw this out there in case it is not widely known, the length of your test leads (shorter is better), the build/material quality of said test leads, and the quality of the connection between the leads and meter (if using plug-in leads) will affect the accuracy and consistency of your readings, particularly when measuring very small value capacitors and resistors. With capacitors of a few pf, even the presence of your hands and/or body could affect the reading. So be careful.

There is a new version of the tester out. As per the forum rules I'm not going to link directly to ebay but if you use the following search name you can find it...

Newest 3.7V version of inductor-capacitor ESR meter DIY MG328 multifunction test

3 things about this version that I like.
The first is that it has a holder for a single 3.7v lithium battery, so can use a rechargable battery.
The second thing is even better, it now has a micro USB socket and can be powered directly from an usb cable, which can also recharge the battery. This also means that it can be powered from a usb power pack.
The 3rd thing is cool also, I only paid €9.96, so only about 60% of what the first one that I bought. They may not be perfect but are still a pretty damn good value for the money. No affiliation, just a "heads up".

The test leads are shorter on this one, 23cm compared to 28cm on my older one. So maybe they read babblefishs' above post.

Cheers,
James

I bought an older model last year that is housed in a case. I went that way because I don't have time to work out an enclosure. For about $20 that is really good return on $.
I use it mainly to check 2-300uf motor caps and motor windings.

Back
Top Bottom