Salbreth1

Hello guys, this next project might be a group effort...

The short story is the shop i bought this from a guy who fired his tech after going insane trying to fix this. It's been collecting dust for about 5 years now.

The good news is that all the important stuff is here, the scope and transformer are working or so I'm told. And the faceplate is in excellent condition.

The bad news is that the wire harnesses are hacked. Cut here and there, wire fragments soldered to other wire ect. And there is absolutely no hardware. All of the sheet metal and machine screws are gone. I should be able to get them easily from McMastercarr though.

I will be jumping in and out of this as I have time, but I plan to give it one hell of a restoration! As long as my sanity, wife, and 10 month old son allow it...

Last edited:
Holy missing parts Batman!!
That's gonna be a labor of love.
Lots of guys here to help you through it though!

Bob

Best of luck on this project. Should be nice if you can get her going again.

The real project is getting that 10 month old raised through college :yes:

The Marantz will be easy....

Best of luck on this project. Should be nice if you can get her going again.

The real project is getting that 10 month old raised through college :yes:

The Marantz will be easy....

Haha, touche! I'm going to fire up the transformer tonight. Hopefully Ill have good news to report. I sorted the wires out and things look a bit better. The screws are ordered and I'm getting a parts list together. Filters are picked out. Here is the faceplate.

These, along with the 2385 and 2600 have many plugs that connect to the selector, tone, filter and other boards that make up the front panel controls etc. They not marked and some of them are identical. You have your work cut out for you!

If you make it play, people may worship at your feet.

Tom

Fortunately, the disassembled SX-1980 I was given was much more complete, mainly missing screws.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

These, along with the 2385 and 2600 have many plugs that connect to the selector, tone, filter and other boards that make up the front panel controls etc. They not marked and some of them are identical. You have your work cut out for you!

If you make it play, people may worship at your feet.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Pictures and schematics will be my best friend here. I was hoping the pictures from the 2385 I did would help, but they are very different receivers.

I did some observing and it looks like this unit saw little use. There are no signs of bulging or shrinking plastic on any caps, all of the incandescent bulbs still work and show no burn marks, and the velum paper doesn't even have a shadow. I now this doesn't guarantee anything but I'm being optimistic.:D The outputs are all Marantz, but I haven't pulled them yet. I wanted to power the transformer, but I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

Cool find!!!!

I recently had a 2500 stripped down to nearly the same level. It was a basket case sitting in an attic for 20+ years. The biggest problem was getting the tuner working properly again.

There are a few threads on restoring the 2500... I followed rBuckner's, it was really helpful.

1. Take your time
2. Protect the tuning cap
3. Tape down the tuning string and remove it from the tuning cap.
4. Be super careful around the scope and the HV from the power supply

Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

I would've picked it up too. Knowing what it could be someday would be all the motivation I would need.

Kudos for having the heart to save it!:thmbsp:

WOW.....Now That's a Project.

It looks like a Heathkit/Marantz.

Good luck, and above all have fun.

Lord God Billy Bob!

The short story is the shop i bought this from fired his tech after going insane trying to fix this.

Did the tech go insane, or the shop owner?

Dam it Jim! i'm a doctor not a magician!!:yikes:
I have never heard a 2500, If it sounds half as good as the 2385, it will be well worth the effort!
Good Luck
:lurk:

Back
Top Bottom