2nd SoCal LA/OC/IE/SD AudioKarma Meet, Sat. August 27, 2011

Phew! Was wonderful to meet everyone, had a great time and thanks to everyone for helping put the sanctuary back together again.

Have to catch a plane, will provide further report after I get back.

Phew! Was wonderful to meet everyone, had a great time and thanks to everyone for helping put the sanctuary back together again.

Have to catch a plane, will provide further report after I get back.

Thank you for all your hard work...I enjoyed meeting local AKers, talking about all things audio, and of course listening to some music. Fly safe!

Wa-hoo, finally people getting excited about bringing stuff! This time last week I though it was just going to be elcoholic, ballylongford, bart and myself sitting around all day.

Yes the tri amps will be there. I finished the re-cap last weekend and they sound great. .....

- Pete

The tri amps did sound great; truth is, I'd be be happy to have any of the systems I heard !!

Thanks to Pete & Bart for pulling this together; got to see & hear some very nice gear, meet some great people; all in all a good time!

Those who missed the event missed out

Q: Who got the JBL 18ti cabinets? Curious to know what becomes of them

Thanks Again

The tri amps did sound great; truth is, I'd be be happy to have any of the systems I heard !!

Thanks to Pete & Bart for pulling this together; got to see & hear some very nice gear, meet some great people; all in all a good time!

Those who missed the event missed out

Q: Who got the JBL 18ti cabinets? Curious to know what becomes of them

Thanks Again

Hi Bally, the 18ti cabs weren't really in demand. We noticed that Bart's L-300's needed badges so your 18ti's live on.:music:

Thanks to Bart and Pete for arranging this meet. This was not a garden chair and folding table event, the pictures will tell the story. They put in a lot of effort.

Hi Bally, the 18ti cabs weren't really in demand. We noticed that Bart's L-300's needed badges so your 18ti's live on.:music:

Well they served some purpose then

Hope they did not go to an Ewaste Recyling; they certainly are nice cabs

When I heard the Indignias Webbb brought I was thinking they might make nice Indignia clone cabinets; the dimensions are certainly close...

Had a great time! Thanks to Bart and Pete for making it possible.

Here are some pics (Caution large files!)

6089503430_61fb8a6de5_b.jpg

6089500494_4ebf34613f_b.jpg

6089505984_37a6f02b94_b.jpg

6088962563_cbce5bca91_b.jpg

6088965009_3e9bfc451b_b.jpg

6089516010_c6d3baa552_b.jpg

6088977307_4a98d8613e_b.jpg

6089525550_389f00ba53_b.jpg

6089528118_98fd3afc99_b.jpg

6088984839_8b30764d4a_b.jpg

6088987249_35fb6f94b8_b.jpg

6089535702_aaefe3d8d0_b.jpg

6088992219_87a311521c_b.jpg

6089540350_e6afd60197_b.jpg

6089542990_025ed269f3_b.jpg

JBL L300s vs 4425s

enjoyed meeting everyone and checking out all the gear. Here's Bart's L300s vs 4425s powered by yamaha pro amps
L300%252520vs%2525204425%252520IMG_0739.JPG

Last edited:
I had a great time. It was fun meeting a bunch of nice folks. Bart and Pete did a great job pulling this event together. Hopefully we do it again next year. Braun Tri-Amps are back on my watch list thanks to Pete. Bart's monster JBL's did not disappoint either. The Karma Indignia's are surely the best speaker that size of all time. Fun, fun, fun.

Sadly my pics didn't come out. I must have set it wrong :(

Again, thanks to everyone who was involved for making the event fun and enjoyable. Below is a pic of those still around about 5pm as we were winding down.

Thanks to LBPete and elcoholic for helping set up the logistics and early setup. Thanks to Ballylongford for driving all the way from San Jose! and setting up the coffee service, it was great!
Thanks to everyone were able to come by or who brought gear to show or barter, it was all very interesting and fun to see you and get to meet the person behind the AK handle.

We really missed seeing the rest of you guys and gals who were not able to make it, we'll hold a spot for you the next time.

And I hope we can make this an annual event, if maybe not every six months or so. We had about 20 people come by, a few even from the church, and I'm confident we can get a bigger turnout in the future.

Attachments

• ak2.jpg
    ak2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 348
We can also use this end of the thread for some post-event analysis and discussion. I'd love to be able to plan another event, maybe for the winter months when its cooler!

We suspected some reasons for lower turnout may have been the date, close to labor day and start of school. The general economy downturn probably had something to do with it. And getting called into work or having family in during vacation months had others occupied. No problem, stuff happens. That's why its important to just consider having another event, set the date, and get together.

I considered this a success because it happened, a lot of nice people were able to make it, and we had a very enjoyable time. People were respectful of gear, asked a lot of questions, and we got to hear a lot of interesting and varied music. And the fun of letting you gear go! in a medium sized sanctuary (larger than pretty much most homes) was a joy!

Please chime in with your comments about how this went and how we can plan for the next one. maybe mid to late January?

Nice variety of gear and music to sample. ===> Nice
Nice folks to chat with. =====> Nicer.
Meeting So Cal Ak members =======> Priceless.

Future meet and greets, definitely a must do

just an idea for next time - maybe a program of listening sessions - people could have their set up and set list of music/equipment and if its a smaller more manageable crowd we could rotate from listening station to station sampling the equipment and music and/or do some A and B'ing like the Braun amplified speakers vs the indignias vs the JBLs etc etc

It was a great space. Perfect for music. It could have handled many more people and a lot more displays. I agree that the date was a little challenging for some folks. Next time we should shoot for February or March. Not much else to do then.

It was great to see everyone. Putting faces to Avatars can be a revelation. It turns out that Yamahalic and I worked for the same company at one time. I worked there with his wife for years. Small world.

- Pete

I happened to have the space next to the owners of these Marantz tuners, the 10 and 10b. I was lucky enough to overhear them talking about the differences. How awesome is that! I also got to see some of crooner's restoration pictures and his work re-stuffing multistage caps.

The acoustics of that place were great in my opinion, I really enjoyed the sounds from all of the cool gear. And, it was cool (in temp) even though it was quite a hot day. Sorry all my demo failed, next time I will try and pre-check before I pack it all up.

My cool find of the day was the very cool and rare Yamaha Bellini Orthodynamics Headphones owned by one of the attending AKers, of which I had never heard (or heard of before). They sounded awesome, sadly making my old AR-4x speaks sound a bit flat after removing the Bellini's. Here is a photo of one model I found on the net to share:

79b18e7c_HP-2.jpeg

It was a nice day to be there with you all. Good to see some guys again, and some of you for the first time, and very good to hear different stuff and different music. I would guess that the date was the biggest factor keeping folks away (I had to arrange around a conflict), but we who were there had a great time.
I thought I had taken more pictures as well, and my pictures generally look like the rest of the ones posted, but here is one different view of Sam's table of interesting things.
P1000943comp.jpg
And here are some of the impromptu discussion groups.
P1000938comp.jpg P1000945comp.jpg P1000951comp.jpg
John's Yamaha headphones were good to sample, and did show up the mid coloration of the AKG 272's that I just got (I thought the same thing previously, in comparison to my Senn. HD580's but the AKG are sealed vs the open HD). I should have brought the Stax SR-Sigma for a real treat for you guys - just another reason to do it again, sooner !!
Also I am glad you all seemed to enjoy the AK Indignias, serial numbers 17 and 18, and helped me to know how good they really are, thanks to Zilch and RayW and all. But for volume and range in a big space, it was a treat to run tunes through Bart's L300's with Yamaha big power. Thanks indeed for the effort to bring that stuff.
Let's do it again, in the spring, maybe??
- Bryan

Last edited:
The acoustics of that place were great in my opinion, I really enjoyed the sounds from all of the cool gear. And, it was cool (in temp) even though it was quite a hot day. Sorry all my demo failed, next time I will try and pre-check before I pack it all up.

My cool find of the day was the very cool and rare Yamaha Bellini Orthodynamics Headphones owned by one of the attending AKers, of which I had never heard (or heard of before). They sounded awesome, sadly making my old AR-4x speaks sound a bit flat after removing the Bellini's. Here is a photo of one model I found on the net to share:

79b18e7c_HP-2.jpeg

Here's some pictures of my HP-1's opened up so you can see the drivers. A 55 mm Maggie for each ear. https://picasaweb.google.com/teamo65/HP1Recable?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIPngbHOnsuzOA&feat=directlink

Back
Top Bottom