2SA493 transistor replacement?

ssouci

I need new transistors to replace the old 2SA493 on the pre/tone board of my 2230 receiver, which is a likely culprit for a noise problem

my research shows people recommending either 2SA1015 -or- KSA992 as a good equivalent replacement part

I am looking to buy locally here in Vancouver, Canada, and so far can find only 2SA1015

which is the better of these two or are they equal?

or, is there a better alternate?

thx!

2sa493 was made with a Y or GR suffix. Which one is in your unit? The idea is to replace them with the same gain. Y is a gain of 120-240, GR is 200 to 400. The sub in question that I would use is the 2SA1015, it's spec sheet is much closer to the 493 than the KSA transistor option. You will have to buy a few and match the gain of whatever you are replacing.

also, I checked the parts list, and that part is spec'd out as: 2SA493 (Y or Gr)

bought a handful... no suffix or brand determinable, but I was able to pick out the 4 highest hFEs, approx 220 values... that falls in the overlap between the two ranges, so should be OK

DONE -- and fixed!

I replaced the four original 2SA493 transistors (on the pre/tone board of my 2230 receiver) with new 2SA1015 parts, and bingo, the horrid crackling noise at startup is now gone!

and as a bonus, unless I'm going crazy, my receiver now actually sounds better! (crisper with better mids and highs)

thanks all for the help & advice

Almost 8 years later, and still finding great answers. Same problem, same fix. (Though I did use SA992 & SC1845, as I already had them) Gotta love it. I had temporarily replaced the 2230 in our living room with a JVC X80 I had lying around, and SWMBO (who only listens to a few LPs and mostly CDs and knows nothing about sound) stated categorically “that receiver you put in sounds like crap compared to that old Marantz. Fix it, please”

Back
Top Bottom