i had the speakers in your first picture and they were part of a stereo-kit named PILOT. total crap in my opinion. for the rest, i don't know all models you've listed but some are cool!

Yup, the first pair pictured, been asked about maybe 3 times in recent months.
Wonder if it's the same pair or if they made more than one pair.

Several years ago I bought a load of stuff from an electronics shop that had been closed down and shuttered for many years. I only spent $250- and got two SUV loads of components. The look my better half gave me was not amusing.

Reactions: MKG
Okay. All loads have been brought home. My fiance came home before I could unload the last load- she raised an eyebrow but that's all- I found a good one with her.
Here's a list of everything in load 2 & 3 as well as some random pics and comments:

Altec Lansing 886a
Realistic Optimus-9
Technics sb-2840
Technics sb-T200 (one tweeter looks trashed)
Sony ss-u541av
Advent The Advent Loudspeaker (one woofer needs new surround and one woofer is not original)
Altec Lansing 85 (one tweet intermittent?)
Kenwood jl-801
Pioneer S-T100 (one has bad woofers?)
MGA M-S2200 (mids look trashed)
RCA SPK500T (woofers need surrounds)
Kenwood jl-560
Acculinear ch303
Panasonic sb-zr920
Sonic studio lab series? (Potentially all bad drivers)
Marantz sp1200 (cabinets are pretty bad)
Advent The Advent/2W (woofers could use new surrounds)
Pioneer cs-e350 (one shorts out?)
MCS 683-8952
AL 1000 series? (Previous owners notes say one has a weak circuit breaker, one has bad tweeter?)
Acoustic Studio Monitor 3311
Realistic ? (Bad tweeters in both?)
MCS 683-8320
Fisher stv-013a (missing woofer)
Acoustic Research AR94R (one has a bad tweeter?)
Jbl 702vx (woofer blown)
Lancer by Soundcraftsmen 9535
Hitachi hsa-3104 (hole in woofer)
Unknown, small M or W plaque

All in all, a hell of a deal for $100. The ones that have caught my attention (either from your guys mention of them or just because they caught my eye) are the ADS L810's, the three sets of Advents, the 2 sets of Altec's, the Optimus 9's, the MCS 683-8228's, potentially the Kenwood KL-777x's, and potentially the AR's but I don't know anything about them. If I'm overlooking anything decent, please let me know.
Tomorrow I need to go thrifting and pick up an amp/receiver that I don't care about and start putting some electricity through these things.
Random pics:

AR.jpg good stuff 2.jpg keepers.jpg load 1.jpeg load 2.jpg load 3.JPG lofi crap 2.jpg optimus.jpg unknown 2.jpg unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
As for the rest of them- I'm thinking I'll pull out any blown drivers and mount them on a wall as decoration. Some of the common stuff in decent condition may go on craigslist for free. Some of the better drivers will be used as spares or sold. Some of the common cabinets with bad drivers will have the face cut out and be screwed together into cubby/shelving/storage. Trashed cabinets will probably become firewood. ...and thats probably still gonna leave me with a bunch of speakers that I'll hafta figure out what to do with. Not a bad problem to have ;)

This story reminds me of the Skittles commercial with the singing rabbit. You do have some keepers I'd be interested in also, that ADS would be worth taking all the rest home even if you didn't want the rest of them. You can also salvage a lot of speaker hardware out of the ones you don't want ...speaker wire, screws, terminals. There may be some good tweeters in ones you don't want. You can slowly feed thrift stores with ones you don't want also. I had a similar experience with a truck load of speakers I found at a garage sale but I spent a lot more than you did.

As mentioned, the ADS L810 are a deal maker. $100 for those alone would be a score.

Blown tweeter or just lacking mid and high end? First check the fuses. Many have been fortunate to discover that was the only issue.

I do see a lot of not so worthy speakers IMO, but if they work, you could put together small packages on CL for $30 or so and probably make out with a free pair of ADS and a coupe others along with a little $$ for other things

Just pulling the lists together in one post. Lots a real estate for $100. Suggest being ruthless in the culling. Hate to see you on an episode of Hoarders Buried Alive!!!

Truck 1
Advent Baby Advent II (woofers need surrounds)
ADS L810 (one has bad tweet?)
Sharp cp-276
Sony ss-u305
Jc penny 3-way no model number???
Jbl L16 decade 16 (no drivers)
Sony ss-u380 (bad tweet?)
MCS 683-8228 (needs woofer surround)
Fisher STV-884
Fisher STV-721 (needs new tweet?)
Fisher ST-515
Kenwood JL-776 (needs mid)
Marantz SP1812 (woof needs surround)
Technics SB-2760 (trashed cabinet)
Scott S12T6
KLH SA9X (missing tweet & has a marantz woofer in one)
Kenwood KL-777x (bad tweets in both?)
Unknown larger bookshelf’s (pic)
Unknown on wheels (pic)

Truck 2 and 3
Altec Lansing 886a
Realistic Optimus-9
Technics sb-2840
Technics sb-T200 (one tweeter looks trashed)
Sony ss-u541av
Advent The Advent Loudspeaker (one woofer needs new surround and one woofer is not original)
Altec Lansing 85 (one tweet intermittent?)
Kenwood jl-801
Pioneer S-T100 (one has bad woofers?)
MGA M-S2200 (mids look trashed)
RCA SPK500T (woofers need surrounds)
Kenwood jl-560
Acculinear ch303
Panasonic sb-zr920
Sonic studio lab series? (Potentially all bad drivers)
Marantz sp1200 (cabinets are pretty bad)
Advent The Advent/2W (woofers could use new surrounds)
Pioneer cs-e350 (one shorts out?)
MCS 683-8952
AL 1000 series? (Previous owners notes say one has a weak circuit breaker, one has bad tweeter?)
Acoustic Studio Monitor 3311
Realistic ? (Bad tweeters in both?)
MCS 683-8320
Fisher stv-013a (missing woofer)
Acoustic Research AR94R (one has a bad tweeter?)
Jbl 702vx (woofer blown)
Lancer by Soundcraftsmen 9535
Hitachi hsa-3104 (hole in woofer)
Unknown, small M or W plaque

Ahh, my audio crazed brother- you have definitely executed an epic score there. You have enough speakers to keep you busy for 5 years sorting, modding, flipping, and listening. Good job!

But, your mania has been, exposed. Close, and lock the shop door- plan on ignoring speakers and all things audio for about a month. Never speak of it again.

If your fiance has been pining for something, get it for her 'just because'.

Take her to an upscale restaurant tonight- followed by a trip to the mall for several hours of shoe & lingerie shopping- or a movie.

Immediately plan and take your fiance on a weekend getaway to an exotic location.

Administer foot massages to her every night for two weeks.

If you do those things you might, and I repeat might, be ok long term. But expect your score and 'truckloads of speakers' to come up in discussions over the course of the years as you marry and go through life.

Under no circumstances let her catch you wandering through your forest of speakers caressing them and mumbling "they are mine... My precious".

(The above is mostly meant to be humor. But, as many of us can attest to, there is some truth to it as well.)

Don't immediately discount any speakers as 'garbage' without trying them out- I had ignored a pair of speakers I got in my score for two years never even bothering to hook them up- turned out to be the best sounding pair in the bunch when I finally got around to them. Turned out they were old school high efficiency speakers and sound fabulous with small tube amplifiers.

If you lived near me I'd suggest we get together and trade- my score was mostly receivers, and yours speakers, but alas.

I have a pair of those Altec 886a's. Not too bad. I've been wanting to try out some different tweeters with mine. Sounds like you'll have plenty of tweeters!

6B5E35A2-5467-49E4-B836-039FEA247454.jpeg
Blown tweeter or just lacking mid and high end? First check the fuses. Many have been fortunate to discover that was the only issue

Unknown, but ima start fiddling with the 810s first since they’ve been mentioned so often. I’ll definitely check the fuses. On the one that’s labeled “bad tweet”, it looks like it’s possible that one of the wires going into the dome is compromised- if that’s the case it might be as simple as cleaning any coating off of the wire and quickly hitting it with some solder. I’m hoping for something simple, I’d like to keep the original drivers in it. (Top wire in pic)
Anyone have any experience with the realistic Optimus-9s? They look funky and I kinda dig ‘em.
I think I’m gonna hafta learn how to refinish cabinets.

Back
Top Bottom