looks like it’s two broken wires. These don’t have the wires on top going into the dome, the enter and attach underneath. I unscrewed the mounting flange but it’s glued solidly to the base, no getting in that way. When checking the wires with a multimeter it either checks as open or it swings wildly and finally settles between 3 & 6 ohms, but it hard to get a solid connection to those tiny little wires. I’m heading to L.A. in a couple hours, but as soon as I get back on Tuesday I’ll see what I can do with some solder or conductive glue. I’m gonna hafta figure out how to get some of the coating off of one the wires, that’s gonna be really difficult when I’m working in a tight space with only about 1/2” of lead.

I unscrewed the mounting flange but it’s glued solidly to the base, no getting in that way
In the thread I linked to above, the poster was able to separate the flange from the magnet (looks like there was some cork in between).

Also, if you're lucky, when you heat the coil wire with your soldering iron, the enamel insulation should melt, allowing you to solder to it without having to strip it off first.

Reactions: MKG
I answered a craigslist ad and bought about 3 pickup truck loads of speakers for $100. Some are in good shape, some need a new surround or driver, and some have trashed cabinets. I'm trying to sort out what I've bought, what's worth restoring/repairing/keeping and what is best turned into an art project or firewood. If anyone has any comments or experience on any of these I'd really appreciate it. You'll notice some things have question marks- I haven't tested any of these but the seller made some notes on them that I haven't confirmed. I've only brought home one truckload, I'll be bringing home the rest tomorrow so this list will grow:

Advent Baby Advent II (woofers need surrounds)
ADS L810 (one has bad tweet?)
Sharp cp-276
Sony ss-u305
Jc penny 3-way no model number???
Jbl L16 decade 16 (no drivers)
Sony ss-u380 (bad tweet?)
MCS 683-8228 (needs woofer surround)
Fisher STV-884
Fisher STV-721 (needs new tweet?)
Fisher ST-515
Kenwood JL-776 (needs mid)
Marantz SP1812 (woof needs surround)
Technics SB-2760 (trashed cabinet)
Scott S12T6
KLH SA9X (missing tweet & has a marantz woofer in one)
Kenwood KL-777x (bad tweets in both?)
Unknown larger bookshelf’s (pic)
Unknown on wheels (pic)

BTW, this is my first post, although I've been lurking for a long time as a non-member. My name is Micah. Hello all!

View attachment 1196395
View attachment 1196394
ABSOLUTELY REPAIR THE ADS L-810'S!!!!!!! You won't regret it. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the haul! Carry on my friend. Will D.

Managed to fix the MCS tweeter with a little bit of solder. It’s reading 2.5 ohms which seems a little low to me. I should pull the tweeter from the other one and measure it but I haven’t yet. Hauled them inside (that took some effort- I’m glad I don’t have a two story house) and they are now a part of my system. They sound awesome bumping the moody blues. Later down the road I’d like to rebuild their built in stands and potentially refinish them with a nice rosewood veneer.
Currently they’re being driven by my only receiver, a cheap Sony HT one. I ran cat5 cable to them (I have a box of 1000’ of the stuff from my old computer days prior to WiFi taking over). The next steps are to get a decent preamp & amp and sending off the ads tweeters to get rebuilt. It’s nice to have something from this haul functional and integrated into my system.
A11F5E35-94B4-43B0-9755-7017334B6E86.jpeg 2D49473A-7BF0-4CF3-AB1E-D83CA93ADAF7.jpeg

Managed to fix the MCS tweeter with a little bit of solder. It’s reading 2.5 ohms which seems a little low to me. I should pull the tweeter from the other one and measure it but I haven’t yet. Hauled them inside (that took some effort- I’m glad I don’t have a two story house) and they are now a part of my system. They sound awesome bumping the moody blues. Later down the road I’d like to rebuild their built in stands and potentially refinish them with a nice rosewood veneer.
Currently they’re being driven by my only receiver, a cheap Sony HT one. I ran cat5 cable to them (I have a box of 1000’ of the stuff from my old computer days prior to WiFi taking over). The next steps are to get a decent preamp & amp and sending off the ads tweeters to get rebuilt. It’s nice to have something from this haul functional and integrated into my system.
View attachment 1210693 View attachment 1210695
Can't wait for you to hear the ADS L-810's when you get them done. I truly think you'll be very happy. Hope to get your impression on those. Will D.

@MKG - Welcome to speaker hoarders not-so-anonymous. For what it's worth, I may be doing an "art installation" and could use a dozen or more expendable speakers. They will be used as a backdrop for a stage inside a bar/lounge. A couple might be functional, but they don't need to be "hifi." Nameless and featureless speaker enclosures preferred. Perhaps we can arrange some kind of crate shipping to Massachusetts in the near future. We can discuss details over Direct Messages as things unfold.

Managed to fix the MCS tweeter with a little bit of solder. It’s reading 2.5 ohms which seems a little low to me.

your meter is reading DC Resistance, not Impedance. 2.5 is perfectly normal for a 4 ohm driver.

I'm curious to hear what your impressions are of the MCSs.

I'm seriously impressed. I don't know that I can give them a fair evaluation because I think I'm probably seriously under-powering them. They're currently being run off of a lofi HT receiver that puts out 55wpc - keep that in mind while reading the rest of this. I can't find specs on the power handling of these beasts but I'm guessing that's about a quarter of what they can handle.
From what I've heard so far I really dig them. The specs on the back say they go down to 25hz and I believe it, they almost make my subwoofer redundant. The bass doesn't have that straight punch to the gut of some cerwin-vegas & the like, but the bass is very clear and very present, as are the mids and highs. Seems to be clean reproduction with minimal coloration. They can fill the room with sound- if I turn it up I can feel my entire body buzzing.
They can hold their own against anything that I've previously owned or heard (That statement is subjective as hell, although honestly this entire post is).
Basically, I like them and I think they'll probably have a permanent place in my main system.
The only downside is that with some tracks they seem to have a very wide stereo separation. I have a feeling that that's probably because of my placement of them (12 feet apart) and could probably be easily fixed if I was willing to rearrange some furniture.

Congrats on getting this MCS speakers working. I’ve subbed to the thread just to see wheee all this speaker madness ends up. Awesome score!

The only downside is that with some tracks they seem to have a very wide stereo separation. I have a feeling that that's probably because of my placement of them (12 feet apart) and could probably be easily fixed if I was willing to rearrange some furniture.

Try toeing them in a little. Point the speakers inward just a bit. Some people put tape on the floor to mark the ideal listening place, but they are probably bachelors. Make note of the angle when you get them where you want them.
When you're done listening, you can put them back to perpendicular to appease other household inhabitants' desire for symmetry. Then toe them in again when it's time for the next listening session.

After a bit more listening- depending on the artist the 8228s do actually have that punch (Matisyahu, South Park Mexican, Atmosphere, VNV Nation) but they're capable of being quite subdued when appropriate. I'm quite happy with them.

Try toeing them in a little. Point the speakers inward just a bit. Some people put tape on the floor to mark the ideal listening place, but they are probably bachelors. Make note of the angle when you get them where you want them.
When you're done listening, you can put them back to perpendicular to appease other household inhabitants' desire for symmetry. Then toe them in again when it's time for the next listening session.
This.Yes. :banana:

Improvement in the soundstage?!!? That's great! Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

I get paid on Friday and I’m hoping finances will allow me to send the L810 tweeters in to Richard to get rebuilt. Tomorrow’s project is to refoam the baby advents, and then they’ll get a listen this weekend.

Last edited:
I bought a pioneer vsx-515 on the bay for $20. Can’t find a lot of information on it but it puts out 110wpc- more than suitable for garage testing. Anyhow, point is once it arrives I’ll be able to easily start trying out and auditioning all of these speakers. Will post more once it arrives.

Good suggestions. Personally, I like my speakers at least 8 feet apart, more is better for a wider sound stage.

Back
Top Bottom