Ohm Walsh 200 mkII
Kef 105.4
Allison Acoustics CD9
Martin Logan Motion 12
ADS L1290/2
DCM Time Window 1A
Klipsch Forte
JBL L100

For all around the same price point, which would come out victorious for a small to mid-sized room?

Thanks AK!

Impossible to say, most of those on your list are pretty decent, but all different in their own way so it would come down to personal preference. I'm partial to various DCM Time Windows, but having not heard many of those on the list, I can't say I wouldn't maybe prefer one of the others. I will say in that price bracket, you could get into the Time Window 3 which is noticebly better than the 1 and 1a, but they're not easy to find. It was several years before a set popped up on CL and I pounced on them for $225.

I couldn't say, but anyone that owns or has owned all of these should get some kind of a prize! Of those mentioned I'd take the ADS and DCM. I've heard the L-100 and they aren't quite in the same league imo. The others I haven't heard.

Last edited:
In that price range, there are quite a number of JBL's that I think are better than the L100, like the L80t, L100t, L5, L7 and a number of others.

Too many variables not covered. What exactly is your idea of a small to mid sized room? What type of music, how loud do you want to listen to it and how important is imaging and soundstage? Is it for background listening for most of the day or occasional dedicated listening?

Most all of those you listed are nice speakers but they also sound quite different. A few examples imo; I wouldn't want to listen to the fortes all day, the 1290's might overpower a really small room, I wouldn't consider the walshes for concert levels where the L100 might be just the ticket.

Too many variables not covered. What exactly is your idea of a small to mid sized room? What type of music, how loud do you want to listen to it and how important is imaging and soundstage? Is it for background listening for most of the day or occasional dedicated listening?

Most all of those you listed are nice speakers but they also sound quite different. A few examples imo; I wouldn't want to listen to the fortes all day, the 1290's might overpower a really small room, I wouldn't consider the walshes for concert levels where the L100 might be just the ticket.

Small to mid-sized room: Think apartment haha
Type of music: Mostly classic rock, but varied
Loudness: Quiet to average listening levels
Imaging vs. Soundstage: Not sure...
Used for both background and dedicated listening...

I'd like to have the KEF, the ADS and the Klipsch, and cycle them. That seems to me a good mix of varying performance strengths.

I'd like to have the KEF, the ADS and the Klipsch, and cycle them. That seems to me a good mix of varying performance strengths.

I live in a smallish apartment so having more than 1 pair would be a huge stress on room real estate, hence why I have to choose just one hehe. The ADS might not be an option anymore, didn't realize they were ~75 lbs :no:

having had a pair of rdl f1/allison cd-7 I'd look at a pair of allison cd-9. There's a pair on ebay now being sold by an ak'er as well. If it was me though, in your situation, I would look at a really good pair of smaller monitors and then get about 3 pinnacle subsonics or baby boomers (or other really small footprint subwoofer) distributing the bass throughout the room I find that big speakers dominate the lanscape and can overpower while with the monitor sub approach you have the best of both worlds. Right now I primarilly listen in a small office and have the big speakers as well but I keep going back the the monitor sub combo

Last edited:
In your particular situation then my choice would be the Walsh's and 2nd would be the Time Windows. As was mentioned a quality sub-small satellite set up would also work quite well.

personally I like the klipsch, and there are so many upgrades out there for them it aint even funny. I would put a new x-over network from bob crites and listen from there, I know the forte sounds amazing at low volume just like my chorus.....Roost

One speaker that I've heard (and can't seem to find for myself) are Dahlquist DQM-9's. They aren't exactly under the radar but telling ya'.....they would firmly put you into a period of not seeking an upgrade for a good stretch also.
Your mission Jim (Should you chose to accept it.) is to control your bass output's "resonance to structure"......we have ways.

Looks like you've been finding very good choices in speaks that are worthy and have you past "the true crap"....not to complicate things but "thinking you know what you like" and "actually knowing your ear" takes some listening time. (That DQM-9 suggestion heads in the direction you described, but errs to non-fatiguing/crisp highs in a smallish listening space.)

Last edited:
I think Ohm Walsh are a great apartment speaker. They produce a very wide listening area, which is often important in an apartment because you usually need the room for more than just listening... you'll be moving around in that space, and most speakers really prefer you sit still. Also, like the CD9s, they work best pretty close to the back wall (about a foot into the room is ideal), so don't need too much space to sound their best.
As mentioned, they may not be able to play quite as loud as some of the others listed, but they are still quite capable of getting you evicted from most apartments!

The Allison CD9s would also be a good choice, fitting even closer to the wall, and they too have very good dispersion characteristics, so they sound good & fairly balanced as you move around, but not to the same extent as the Walsh. If you are likely to stay mostly in one listening chair, and only listen closely when in that seat, the CD9s might be the best fit for you.

Funny...this is where I've "locked" too.

My money's on the KEF or ADS in that lineup. Well, or maybe the Ohm Walsh too...

ADS is generally in the rich but crisp "ear" and my KEF 104/2s' are a British sound adjusted towards "this New England /American ear". (I suspect when you consider the length of demand for producing the KEF104/2, combined with the huge appreciation for ADS....locking with these says sweet spot for our likes!)

The Dahlquists are a little more bright and solidly in this family of sound....rich and classy detail with force!

I'd sure like to have this "problem". Any possibility to throw into the mix Boston A-400's or DCM TF-600's? Both do particularly well situated close to a wall, and wouldn't tend to overwhelm a small-to-medium sized room.

Given weight constraints, advice in this thread, and pricing, I think I'll go with either the KEFs or the Allisons. The Ohm Walshs are too expensive and the ADS are too heavy. Now the hard part, choosing between two very good speakers haha...

Also, a pair of Martin Logan Scenario speakers may be thrown into the mix. hmmm...

I have not heard them but out of the list I would pick the Ohm/Walsh 2s.As said before they give an all around live soundstage and aren't that big. They are fairly good looking, the one weakness are the hoods.Using them w/ just the bare cans just doesn't work for me. 2nd would be any of the Klipsch Heritage line excluding the giant K-HORNS, Belles and La Scallas. Forte ,Chorus,Quartet, and KG4s thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom