3000A questions

Likewhatg?

Have a question about a 3000a reciever that I picked up a few weeks ago. There's a pcb labeled "TRX-6" in the front left hand corner of the unit. Mine has what looks to be four white wires that have been clipped and I'm trying to figure out where they go or if they are some sort of leads meant for testing or alignment. They're at points labeled TP401, TP402, TP403 and then one other one w/ no visible label. Anybody have a service manual or schematic and can tell me if, in fact, these wires were severed by someone down through the years?
And one other thing actually. There are two 3000uf 50v bi-polar electrolytics mounted in clamps that I was thinking I should replace but I can't find a source for that value in bi-polars. Anybody have a source or do you even think it's necessary to replace them? I'm just in the process of going through and replacing all electrolytics. So far, so good except for those 3000uf jobbies.
Thanks for any help! Cool forum!

Greg

The TRX-6 is the FM Multiplex board. 401 thru 403 are in fact test points (TP = Test Point). They are adjusted when an FM MPX alignment is done which requires the use of test equipment - scope, oscillator, FM signal generator etc..

The Service Manual would proably be helpful to you as it will contain the board layout and you can then see where those wires go. One place that has manuals is www.sansui.us - just follow the links in red print on the homepage there. You might also look for the 3000A technical service bulletin which will have useful info as well.

B/F

Thanks and a slight correction

Thanks BF. I kinda thought those might be test points. I may look into picking up a service manual at some point. The unit is actually performing very well right now. If I can get all the electrolytics replaced, I'll be happy.
I have a correction to my initial post. The two bipolar caps are not 3000uf's but are actually 1000uf 50v's. Percy Audio has Black Gates at around $59 apiece but that's a little more than I'm looking to spend on this receiver. Hoping that somebody knew of other sources.
Thanks again,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom