3000's help

backtoanalog

All, it appears one of my beloved 3000's drivers are done, in one speaker.
I took it to our local shop, and they said it is toast, and no real way of replacing the drivers.
I am looking at replacing them with Cerwin Vegas SL12. Should I toss the old 3's ? Are they worth pursuing a fix? How would I even get replacement drivers? The shop said they called Infinity and got no real help.

Thanks, for any help.

Last edited:
Are those the small 2 way speakers from around 1988?
If they are and both drivers in one speaker are no good it may or may not make financial sense to try to find OEM replacement drivers..
Two options if you do want to try to find OEM drivers:
Ebay.
Or subscribe to AK and post a WTB ad in BarterTown.

Are those the small 2 way speakers from around 1988?
If they are and both drivers in one speaker are no good it may or may not make financial sense to try to find OEM replacement drivers..
Two options if you do want to try to find OEM drivers:
Ebay.
Or subscribe to AK and post a WTB ad in BarterTown.
Nope. They are the real deal from @77. 12" Watkins drivers etc... Damn fine speakers. That's the problem. Too nice to throw out.

That's one thing about Infinity, they sure liked reusing model names and numbers.
That being the case the two options I mentioned in my previous post are your best options for getting original drivers.
I am constantly watching ebay for Infinity parts and stuff, I have to say I don't recall seeing those mids and tweeters all that often but it's all a matter of timing. Some could show up tomorrow or three years from now.
Which of your drivers are bad?

the 12" watkins are available from watkins himself, or he can repair yours.

what were the other drivers, and the full model number? EMIT? Walsh? ??electrostatic? dome tweeter? I'm not familiar with that speaker

interesting, so a cone tweeter, looks large( 5 cm), a cone midrange, and a watkins woofer. I wonder who made the tweater, SEAS?
the 3000p has a different dome tweeter(2.5 cm), and different cone midrange, but still looks like a watkins.

interesting, so a cone tweeter, looks large( 5 cm), a cone midrange, and a watkins woofer. I wonder who made the tweater, SEAS?
the 3000p has a different dome tweeter(2.5 cm), and different cone midrange, but still looks like a watkins.
Peerless

Yeah, I got nothing from Harmon. I guess, from, my guy, at our local shop, who can fix, just about anything, Infinity is very proprietary and won't let parts go, I hate to throw them out. They are serious, thumpers. Watkins drivers, had some, very real, low end punch.

the 12" watkins are available from watkins himself, or he can repair yours.

what were the other drivers, and the full model number? EMIT? Walsh? ??electrostatic? dome tweeter? I'm not familiar with that speaker
I can post a pic, if it will help. That's what, Harmon suggested . Not sure how that would help my cause.

You can't do that....links to live ebay auctions are only allowed in dollars and sense.

I had no idea that Watkins is still around and will repair the woofers. I'm not sure what to do about the other drivers. Any Ideas?

New question. I think these are 4 ohm dual voice coil woofers. Can I replace them with 8 ohm speakers, since my amp is 8 ohm? How would that work with the existing crossovers? Or should I go with dual vc 4 ohm to replace them?

The pics in that auction show only a single voice coil (a DVC woofer would have two sets of terminals), and the only non-automotive woofers that Infinity used with dual voice coils were the Watkins woofers, which you've already ruled out. Since replacement woofers are available on the used market, I wouldn't attempt to substitute with a non-OEM woofer, as the result will be unpredictable and probably non-optimal.

The pics in that auction show only a single voice coil (a DVC woofer would have two sets of terminals), and the only non-automotive woofers that Infinity used with dual voice coils were the Watkins woofers, which you've already ruled out. Since replacement woofers are available on the used market, I wouldn't attempt to substitute with a non-OEM woofer, as the result will be unpredictable and probably non-optimal.
Yeah, I agree. I am sending the woofer to Miller to be repaired. I got my new Cerwin Vegas and they are very nice. But I played one Infinity and one cv and the old Infinity held it's on for sure, so what the heck, I'll have a quad system. I'll give the Infinity's to my son, one day. Thanks for all the reply's.

Back
Top Bottom