360 degree sound

oldman54

I bought a Dylan lp today at an estate sale. It's on my drying rack. Its a Columbia release. It says MONO on the lable with 360 degree sound on both sides of the mono. The cover says extra fidelity goodness with stereo playback. Is this one of those out of faze, messed up, fake stereo...? I know, play it and see, soon.

Its up next. I'm playing a Les Dudek I found in a pile of moldy records in the basement. It was the only one I could save. Cleaned up nice, but the cover...bleach still drying.

Dylan is one of the great writer of song lyrics.

But he cannot sing for s**t. In mono, fake stereo or genuine stereo, CD-4, discrete 4-channel or Dolby Surround.

Analog or digital.

He is the first cousin of my former rabbi's wife. The rabbi, on the other hand, is an excellent singer.

Go with the LP label. You've got monaural. Not the album cover. Columbia's "360 Sound" was available in both mono and stereo. Bob sounds dandy in either mono or stereo. His stereo is not fake stereo like the electronically-reprocessed Stones albums available at the same time. Enjoy.

But he cannot sing for s**t. In mono, fake stereo or genuine stereo, CD-4, discrete 4-channel or Dolby Surround.

Analog or digital.

He is the first cousin of my former rabbi's wife. The rabbi, on the other hand, is an excellent singer.

A little off topic, I know, but can't let this comment hang without a response. I see a lot of people saying that Dylan is a bad singer, and take for granted that everyone agrees. While some people may not like the way he sings, to say he cannot sing, or is a bad singer, is just false.

Personally, I think he is one of the best, most dynamic and interesting vocalists of our time. His use of timing, inflection, phrasing, among other things, I think is a lot more complex that a lot of folks realize. It's also intentional. It may not always be a beautiful voice, (but can be) but his emotional expressiveness is up there with the best, and adding uniqueness to that makes him to me anyway, one of the top singers out there.

For anyone wanting to delve deeper into this, this article from Slate titled Bob Dylan is a Great Singer is pretty interesting.

Or, as someone else put it: "People who only want to hear beautiful voices are like people who only want to f#*% underwear models."

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant. Enjoy that great record oldman54! What album is it?

Last edited:

Analog or digital.

:rflmao:

My tenth grade German teacher babysat Dylan in Hibbing, Minnesota when Dylan was a kid. My teacher said he was a good kid, especially when he was listening to the stereo..

Doug

A little off topic, I know, but can't let this comment hang without a response. I see a lot of people saying that Dylan is a bad singer, and take for granted that everyone agrees. While some people may not like the way he sings, to say he cannot sing, or is a bad singer, is just false.

Personally, I think he is one of the best, most dynamic and interesting vocalists of our time. His use of timing, inflection, phrasing, among other things, I think is a lot more complex that a lot of folks realize. It's also intentional. It may not always be a beautiful voice, (but can be) but his emotional expressiveness is up there with the best, and adding uniqueness to that makes it too me anyway, one of the top singers out there.

For anyone wanting to delve deeper into this, this article from Slate titled Bob Dylan is a Great Singer is pretty interesting.

Or, as someone else put it: "People who only want to hear beautiful voices are like people who only want to f#*% underwear models."

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant. Enjoy that great record oldman54! What album is it?

Good rant and I agree.

Back
Top Bottom