3db's thrd system... In the bedroom...strictly 2.1

I've updated my bedroom system adn secondary system. The PSB Alphas were replaced by PSB 400 in the second system, and the Alphas replaced the PSB mites in the bedroom. The Alphas were also placed up on the wall as shown .

bedroom_6.jpg bedroom_7.jpg

Attachments

• bedroom_6.jpg
    bedroom_6.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1
I ordered this B Tech BT15 to place the center channel under the TV.. More pics to come as I get this set up.

bt15-b-1-220-200-jpg

My wife was after to me to unclutter the dresser with my electronics.. Since we weren't using the drawers behind the two doors, I removed the drawer, removed the drawer guides, removed the back board which allowed me at the staples of the rear drawer support. Removed the staples and slid the post out of the way beside teh right hand drawers and fashioned a crude support based on 1x2 the keeps the weight on the wood and off the pressboard floor. When I have time, I'll paint it and fix it up a little ...

I would like to remove the horizontal strips as well in front but I'm not sure how. As it stands, I can return this dresser back to normal quite easily.

Attachments

• bedroom-6.jpg
    bedroom-6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 29
  • bedroom-7.jpg
    bedroom-7.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bedroom-8.jpg
    bedroom-8.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
I need help now on where on the wall to position a pair of PSB dipole speakers I bought used for $30. As you can see from the previous post, bedroom-6, my setup is located on the left hand side of the room as shown. The pics below shows the wall where I'm going to mount the dipoles.. When I watch movies and listen to music, I move the blue chair in front of the night table. Where should I mount the dipoles based on my seating position? Should they be placed equal distant on either side of the chair or should I place them near the far side of the walls? How high up the wall should I go? To give you an alignment perspective the right pillow is in line with the right front speaker.

Attachments

• bedroom-back-1.JPG
    bedroom-back-1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 21
  • bedroom-back-1.JPG
    bedroom-back-1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the above likes. I do need help though and your reasons for your choices.

I've made one more change to the system it now being a fully 5.1 system. . I've replaced the dipoles with direct radiators, PSB Alpha Minis, replaced the Panny BluRay with a Oppo BDP-83, and replaced the Yamaha RX-V1500 with a Yamaha RX-V1075.
bedroom-13.JPG bedroom-14.JPG bedroom-15.JPG bedroom-16.JPG bedroom-17.JPG bedroom-10.JPG

Update to the room. I've been a very busy boy lately with a laptop in my back pocket and a new UMIK1 microphone. The sub used to be located here.
bedroom-6.jpg

I went location hunting to find a better spot for my little 10" sub using REW. I tried a couple of spots and wondered if the sub would sound better in the opposite corner behind the lazy-boy as shown here.
bedroom-14.JPG

I ran the measurements for each location and this what I found. The red plot is where I had the sub before using REW to relocate the sub. The green plot shows the response with the sub at the new location.
Difference between old and new sub location.jpg

Last edited:
Hello 3d,

Well done on this setup

May you please explain me the hardware and method for the measurement you took.

thanks!

Hello 3d,

Well done on this setup

May you please explain me the hardware and method for the measurement you took.

thanks!

1. I'm using a laptop with an HDMI port running Windows 7 (I like to stay current .. :biggrin: ) .
  2. I went here to get the software called REW (Room EQ Wizard) https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/ . There's some reading to do as well.
  3. I went to Amazon to purchase a USB measurement microphone. It has to be a measurement mic. Not any mic will do. Here's the weblink for the actual manufacturer called miniDSP. https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

I'm not going to tell you how to configure REW. The links found in step 2 are far better at that then what I can do. Basically, I placed the mic at the listener position, set my speakers to small on the AVR and set the crossover to 200Hz (as high as it could go on the AVR) . That way all bass would be coming from the subwoofer. I limited my frequency sweeps to 15Hz - 200Hz .
I then ran a measurement for the sub's current location. I moved the sub to another location and measured again tand compared it to see if the new location produced a smoother curve than the old location. I kept moving the sub around and kept taking measurements until I found a spot where I could do no better.

Right Of Dresser.jpg Left Side of the Bed.jpg Between Windows.jpg New Sub Location.jpg

Once I found the sub's sweet spot in the room with the smoothest in room response, I went back into the AVR, lowered the cross over back to 80Hz, and set frequency sweep range back to 15Hz - 20KHz. I then ran the measurement once more and got the graph I posted previously.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Everyone needs a nice bedroom system. Mine consists of a Marantz 2240 and AR 2ax, and a Sony blue ray player for cds
Sorry, I don't agree with the statement.

Nothing goes in my bedroom and no screens at the dinner table. It is the law in my house. It has been embraced by every member of my family for the last 26 years. We all have our own unique ideas and ideas we share when we gather together.

Best

Soundork

1. I'm using a laptop with an HDMI port running Windows 7 (I like to stay current .. :biggrin: ) .
  2. I went here to get the software called REW (Room EQ Wizard) https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/ . There's some reading to do as well.
  3. I went to Amazon to purchase a USB measurement microphone. It has to be a measurement mic. Not any mic will do. Here's the weblink for the actual manufacturer called miniDSP. https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
I'm not going to tell you how to configure REW. The links found in step 2 are far better at that then what I can do. Basically, I placed the mic at the listener position, set my speakers to small on the AVR and set the crossover to 200Hz (as high as it could go on the AVR) . That way all bass would be coming from the subwoofer. I limited my frequency sweeps to 15Hz - 200Hz .
I then ran a measurement for the sub's current location. I moved the sub to another location and measured again tand compared it to see if the new location produced a smoother curve than the old location. I kept moving the sub around and kept taking measurements until I found a spot where I could do no better.

View attachment 2158347 View attachment 2158345 View attachment 2158349 View attachment 2158350

Once I found the sub's sweet spot in the room with the smoothest in room response, I went back into the AVR, lowered the cross over back to 80Hz, and set frequency sweep range back to 15Hz - 20KHz. I then ran the measurement once more and got the graph I posted previously.

I hope this helps.
thanks a lot!

Sorry, I don't agree with the statement.

Nothing goes in my bedroom and no screens at the dinner table. It is the law in my house. It has been embraced by every member of my family for the last 26 years. We all have our own unique ideas and ideas we share when we gather together.

Best

Soundork
I understand that. Our special time was at supper time where we got together as a family. Even though we have a system set up in the great room, I turned it off before we sat down together at meal time. Bedrooms are considered a private domain in our household and there was nothing like snuggling up with my wife in bed to watch something we were both interested in. I miss those days as she passed away from cancer this past October.

Back
Top Bottom