4.5 Serial Number Confusion.

Infinity nutcase.
I’m doing some late night reading and researching of the Infinity RS 4.5 Speakers and in reading the Stereophile article reads that they had one of the first pairs to come of the assembly line. So they list their serial numbers as, 1002580 & 1002581.

The pair I have acquired, and I double checked with my reading glasses are, 7002754 & 7002755. Naturally knowing very little at this point I just kinda of assumed that the last 2 digits in the serial numbers would reflect that numbered pair off the assembly line. Being as only 300 pairs were made.

Wrong Sneaker Boy !

That doesn’t jive at all with the Stereophile article. In the same article it says that Bascom King did at least 4 revised additions to the crossovers, etc. so just basic math if I subtract from the Stereophile article and those were the first pair that would mean mine are pair 174 from the assembly line....not 54 & 55. So I’m confused also why mine start with 7 as the first number and not a 1. Possible revision identifier ?

Kurtgo, Kev_rat, anyone have any thoughts or insights to what’s going one here ?

Could also be that the first digit meant something like year or month of production after the first. So 7000... Could be 6 July production if they started in January.

Just a guess, similar things have been done with firearms serial numbers and car VINs in the past.

I've found that Infinity changed the numbering scheme with major revisions.

For example I've never seen an early QLS-1 (with black painted baffle, wire frame grill, fiberglass stuffing, wooden woofer stand off ring, and the 1400uF/1600uF woofer caps) with a serial number higher than 7001000, they all seem to end below 7000800, The later version (veneer baffle, stand off grill, poly stuffing, no stand off ring, and the 1400uF/1100uF woofer caps) are all numbered above 7001000.

Well that's one way to keep the post count going totem. I kinda follow you Brunt and agree there has to be a method to the madness, I sure wish there was more info out there. I'd sure like to find the storage spot where all if any of the datum, records are for Infinity as a working company.

I bought mine new in 1983, the serial #'s are : 7307638 and 7307639, Absolute best speaker you will ever own, thier even better than the 1b's IMHO, they will be with me till the day I die :)
Al

Jeff worked the Canoga Park warehouse for a short stint.
6dX2LEg.gif

Mine are 7308028 and 7308029
Over the years other serial numbers have been posted
I'm sure there was a logic, but without a few more would be hard to know the ends

I suspect the Stereophile pair may have been pre production as they had several revisions (5) of crossovers taming trombones

Kev I think yours may be late 1983, be nice to know purchase date and associated with serial #

I'm busy as heck but just when you think maybe we could make some sense out of it....nope.

Kev_rat, if we were to go with the sterephile number that puts you at #448. Anyway I've fired off a few emails, I'm waiting to hopefully hear back.

Hahaha, tubed maybe Spiccoli was the man !

I guess I'm done with trying to get some light on the serial numbers for the 4.5. Nobody cares. I fired off and email to Paul At PS Audio figuring he's friends with Bascom. Maybe he could ask if he remembers anything since he WAS the guy doing the mods trying to please the stereophile guys.

Nothing, no response.

Maybe the thinking is it was 40 years ago, they're all to busy in the present day doing what they do. Nobody cares :(

It bums me out.

Back
Top Bottom