4 ohm amp search/speaker grill needs

bachplayer

spinner of wax
Hi

Two issues here. I just bought a pair of JBL940s (which sound wonderful btw). The problem I am attempting to avoid is that they are 4 ohm speakers, and my amp is rated 8-16 ohms. I don't want to burn up my amp, so I guess I am now in the market for a decent amp that can drive 4 ohms safely.

Tube would be out of my range, so solid state seems to be my only option. Any suggestions? I don't have to have a tuner, so an amp alone will suffice. (one that has hook ups to CD player, a graphic eq and (a bonus) two turntables would be great. One TT is obviously a minimum requirement.

Second issue: The JBLs have no speaker grills, and JBL asks over $100 each! I paid $159 for the pair of speakers at Salvation Army as it is! Any suggestions for that problem?

Since I have no cats roaming around with front claws, I guess grills aren't a necessity.

WRT the 4-ohm amp... you have a PM (private message).

As for the grilles- IIRC, those speakers aren't that complicated, in cosmetic construction. It probably wouldn't be too hard, to have a speaker repair shop CONSTRUCT some suitable grilles, probably for FAR LESS cost than $100 each. Heck, I've done it many times for clients... it's not THAT hard, if you have a table saw and even a modicum of skill... I think I last charged like $50 or $60 each, for building the DIFFICULT ones (ie, routing and relatively complex shaping required to match cabinet contours and such), and significantly less (like $35-40 each, covered with fabric and finished) for simpler ones...

Regards,
Gordon.

Bachplayer,
What make/model is Your amp that is rated 8-16 ohms ? Many amps with A-B or multiple speaker output connectors will use this rating for each pair of speakers, in case more than one pair are used at the same time (A and B), using this rating and method would mean that the amp may be safe for connecting a single pair of 4 ohm speakers by themselves.. Just curious, perhaps You have something better in the works.
Gordon, You are charging more than fair prices for that grillework, and I think I've seen some of that work here on AK, You do some very nice stuff.

Actually, I am using a receiver. It is a Sony, model # STR-D511. I have been pleased with its features and performance etc. I did look again at the speaker outs, and it clearly states 8-16 ohms, and no allowance is made for A or B banks.

Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom