4 Ohm Infinity Qb's. Can I use a modern HT Receiver?

TIC

I've got an extra pair of Infinity Qb's that I don't need. My neighbor wants to buy them, but he would be powering them with an inexpensive modern Onkyo HT receiver that does not explicitly support 4 ohm speakers. Would running a single pair of Qb's, on a receiver rated for 8 ohm speakers cause any problem? He tends to listen pretty loud as the evening progresses, if you know what I mean. I would rather not sell them to him if the mis-match is going to cause damage to either the receiver or speakers.

BTW, there is a pair of Infinity Reference 5s for sale locally for a decent price. Would the 8 ohm, floor standing Reference 5 be a better option for him as they are an 8 ohm speaker? Any idea how they should compared to the Qb's?

Depends on the particular receiver I suppose.
Might not be the best match if the receiver is not 4 ohm rated and he tends to get after it as the night goes on.

Well, I know it's not the best match. Hence the question. Just wondering if it's likely to cause actual damage to either of the receiver or speakers.

Well, I know it's not the best match. Hence the question. Just wondering if it's likely to cause actual damage to either of the receiver or speakers.

Well, if he's a careless crank head (crank, as is crank up the stereo, that is...) the speakers could be damaged by any receiver.

However, ignoring that possibility, it's unlikely anything will be damaged. The most likely worst case scenario is the receiver temporarily shuts down due to getting hot during a big cranking session. Particularly so if the receiver does not have good ventilation.

To me, this is not much cause of concern for the gear, but it may be too risky just dealing with any potential hassle "the speaker you sold me don't work right" type of thing.

I'd be just as concerned about power output from the receiver being insufficient. Especially if he likes to crank it. Something tells me the EMIT tweeters wouldn't be long for this world.....

In my experience the Qb thrive on a good amount of clean power.

Sounds like he'd probably be better off with something more efficient and abuse tolerant.

Well, if he's a careless crank head (crank, as is crank up the stereo, that is...) the speakers could be damaged by any receiver.

However, ignoring that possibility, it's unlikely anything will be damaged. The most likely worst case scenario is the receiver temporarily shuts down due to getting hot during a big cranking session. Particularly so if the receiver does not have good ventilation.

To me, this is not much cause of concern for the gear, but it may be too risky just dealing with any potential hassle "the speaker you sold me don't work right" type of thing.

This is EXACTLY the reason I won't sell one of my used work trucks to a friend. When I get new truck(s)--I am a contractor--I either sell them to a total stranger, trade them in, or send them to the crusher. I've seen many a friendship go sour when someone buys something from a friend and then something goes wrong or doesn't work out the way they expected.

That was my delicate way of saying if you sell them to him make it plain if he blows something up you are not responsible.

Back
Top Bottom