$4000 Canton Vento Reference 9 DC bookshelf Speakers. Anyone know anything about them???

I haven't heard the vento line but I had a chance to audition some Canton reference 7.2 DC, which visually look like the same drivers in those vento ref 9s. The ref 7.2 DC are 3rd from TOTL ref series Canton and are a floorstanding full range 3 way.

the reference 7.2 DCs sounded very clean and coherent, with a lush sound- not laid back though, very engaging

they were driven by a krell fpb-600 and it was impressive to say the least, put canton on the map for me

I bought my Cantons for far less off of Craigslist. They make wonderful speakers. I am not a person that pays 1600 for speakers though.

I bought my Cantons for far less off of Craigslist. They make wonderful speakers. I am not a person that pays 1600 for speakers though.

What model Cantons? What you paid is relative to the model. The Vento Reference 9 DC is one of their flagship models.

I can only say, that the ?thirty year old? cantons I have are excellent speakers. 12" woofer, big fat dome midrange, big dome tweeter, sealed enclosure. They sound amazing, in my garage.
Fonum, maybe? (ellifinknow) but based on the pair I own, I would not hesitate to pick up another pair.

What model Cantons? What you paid is relative to the model. The Vento Reference 9 DC is one of their flagship models.

I see the Vento 9s are "on sale" for $1500 at Accesss4less:
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...MIj4ij3cP81gIVAWl-Ch3taw0bEAYYASABEgKWHvD_BwE

My Cantons are Ergo 31s : I got a great deal, and that's why they are mine... I only buy used.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....s-are-they-the-bees-knees-for-a-hundo.744955/

I am sure that you understand the "urgency marketing" that is a designed technique in sales: "MSRP is 4k... but buy today and you can get it for $1600" . If you have the dough, you can't go wrong with Canton.

Canton was up and then down and now seem to have their shit together again. I had some of the misd gen Cantons and they were nothing to write home about at all.

I didn't know about their roller-coaster-quality... thanks.

Here is what I don't like about the Vento 9s that the OP is asking about: (just my dingy-stuck-in-da-mud opinion)

Specs: upload_2017-10-19_9-12-44.png Looks: upload_2017-10-19_9-13-45.png

So... lets start at how they look. I don't like the modern sleek-plastic-like look. I don't know what the cabs are made out of, but at 25lbs for the pair, it can't be much. My Ergos are about 30lbs each, and cherry veneer.

Specs claim 25hz on the low side... Hmm, I doubt it. I'm a tube guy and the 87db isn't likeable from my perspective... but I know my Ergos aren't efficient either...

I haven't heard them, and I haven't held them, so this is a very limited opinion. 1600 bucks can buy a lot of speaker.

Don't let my myopic opinions sway you though... if you've heard them and love them, then that's all you need.

I didn't know about their roller-coaster-quality... thanks.

Here is what I don't like about the Vento 9s that the OP is asking about: (just my dingy-stuck-in-da-mud opinion)

Specs: View attachment 1027720 Looks: View attachment 1027721

So... lets start at how they look. I don't like the modern sleek-plastic-like look. I don't know what the cabs are made out of, but at 25lbs for the pair, it can't be much. My Ergos are about 30lbs each, and cherry veneer.

Specs claim 25hz on the low side... Hmm, I doubt it. I'm a tube guy and the 87db isn't likeable from my perspective... but I know my Ergos aren't efficient either...

I haven't heard them, and I haven't held them, so this is a very limited opinion. 1600 bucks can buy a lot of speaker.

Don't let my myopic opinions sway you though... if you've heard them and love them, then that's all you need.

This is why I posted this. I am an audiophile on a budget, so I need opinions. I was taking the 25lbs as per speaker. If they only weigh 12.5 pounds a piece, well that is reason for concern. But quality is not always associated with weight but still, I know the cabinet is one of the most important aspects. And yes, $1600 can buy a lot of speaker. That is probably the most I have ever spent on a pair. Last pair I bought were some used Tekton Pendragons for $1200. Which that was a smoking deal.

Here is another speaker that I am SERIOUSLY considering and have read nothing but great reviews on. The Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor.

At 38lbs per speaker, that is a pretty serious speaker for a bookshelf.

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

This is why I posted this. I am an audiophile on a budget, so I need opinions. I was taking the 25lbs as per speaker. If they only weigh 12.5 pounds a piece, well that is reason for concern. But quality is not always associated with weight but still, I know the cabinet is one of the most important aspects. And yes, $1600 can buy a lot of speaker. That is probably the most I have ever spent on a pair. Last pair I bought were some used Tekton Pendragons for $1200. Which that was a smoking deal.

Here is another speaker that I am SERIOUSLY considering and have read nothing but great reviews on. The Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor.

At 38lbs per speaker, that is a pretty serious speaker for a bookshelf.

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

Are you auditioning these possible choices? Can you audition them at home with your equipment, in you space?

If I was going to buy new speakers at new price, this is what I would do...

And no, I have not heard them. That's what makes this process of buying over the internet without hearing it first so hard. I am just going off of other peoples opinions and ears. Some people have said they refuse to buy something without hearing it first. I can understand that but you also get nowhere even close of bang for your buck as you do with internet buying.

If I were to buy some stand mount speakers I'd look first at Fritz speakers. They start at around your price point. They have gone up in price since I was considering them but they get rave reviews. Also Fritz speakers are beautiful. The veneers are top notch. I kick myself, for not buying, every time I look at his speakers.

Investing $4,000 in a small box with cones and domes seems like sheer madness to me. Is there a reason you can't have a pair of floorstanders in your room?

Don't think I would have courage to buy speakers unheard in that price range unless I'd heard one in same family.
I heard one of thier towers at the Expona show in Chicago last year. Very nice. Don't remember model. Cantons do appear used in this Chicago area, time to time. I have some older bookshelfs I like.
The availability of new Cantons in US iver years may be due to distribution decisions by Canton rather than quality issues.

Have you ACTUALLY PRICED SPEAKERS RECENTLY? 4K for a set of high end stand mounts is nothing. Some people don't have room for floorstanders.
But there are tons (literally) of great speakers from the early 2000's/late 90's you can grab for 4K or less. The new "audiophile" market has nothing to do with parts cost or intrinsic value. It's all about the new millionaire/billionaire crowd with ridiculous amounts of disposable income. For example, a pair of VMPS RM40's just sold in Pittsburgh for $2000. That leaves another $2,000 for three nice amps and a DCX2496 (or Marchand 3 way) to make them really sing. And ironically, they don't take up any more floor space than a pair of two-way bookshelves on stands. I know what's out there. I go to shows all the time. I've heard $100,000 speakers that don't sound as good a well set up pair of RM-40's.

Attachments

• vmps rm40.jpg
    vmps rm40.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
I have some vintage Canton Karat 200's, from 90's, with soft dome mid and tweets, alike ADS. Similar sound also. And I have newer small Plus XL2's with metal cone woof and tweet. They have very different sound voices. Not all Cantons sound alike.
If you visit thier website, will see an extensive variety.

Last edited:
If I were to buy some stand mount speakers I'd look first at Fritz speakers. They start at around your price point. They have gone up in price since I was considering them but they get rave reviews. Also Fritz speakers are beautiful. The veneers are top notch. I kick myself, for not buying, every time I look at his speakers.
Ditto here. He uses the same drivers as most of the high end bookshelves and his wood work is second to none. The veneer is matched for each speaker. I have owned a pair for 6 or 7 years now.

Ditto here. He uses the same drivers as most of the high end bookshelves and his wood work is second to none. The veneer is matched for each speaker. I have owned a pair for 6 or 7 years now.

Which model do you own? I was looking at the Carbon 7 but he has a lot of interesting variations.

I am buying new speakers and doing a ton of research. I came across these today and they look pretty legit. They retail for $4000 but I can get a pair for $1600.

https://www.canton.de/en/archive/vento-reference-9-dc

I would strongly suggest that you audition any speakers in that price range before buying. Good sound is really subjective, and it is discouraging to spend $$$ only to find the equipment does sound like someone else said it does in your sysem in your home. I know, I have done it a few times. If you can’t audition first at least get a “good”deal and buy something with name recognition....at least then you have a better chance of limiting your loss.

I have Harbeth speakers and I think I am done searching (unless I can get better Harbeths!)

My ast piece of advice is to take your time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom