400cx-2 Remote Control ?

RanDibble

Fisher 400cx-2 Remote Control ?

So Guys, I was lookin' at the back of my 400cx-2 preamp closely and a big knot of a plug appears in the middle of the panel. In faded lettering it say " Remote Control" . A plug is present in the socket with a bunch of short bars between the pins.

So, I googled it without any results that made sense for the period the the Preamp was produced.

What's up with this ?

Last edited:
Fisher offered a remote volume control unit for the CX2 (and other Fisher units as well) -- a corded remote that is, that consisted of a hand held control containing two individual volume controls, that would act to reduce the maximum volume as set by the front panel volume control. As two separate controls, it could balance sound as well. Remember, this was 1961-62, so it was a pretty neat feature at the time. When the remote device is not used, the dummy plug must be installed to complete the signal path. The remote control units come up from time to time on the auction site.

I hope this helps!

Dave

What was the model number of this unit ?

Are there any user and service manuals available ?

I curious how it worked and where that feature can be adapted to todays technology. Maybe a blue-tooth controlled relays to do the switching ?

All it was was two 50K volume controls, one for each channel, connected into the circuit via a length of about 20 ft of shielded cable. Probably the best you could do to update the unit would be to use an infrared remote with a servo drive motor at the receiver that would mechanically operate a 50K stereo pot. Or, you can buy already made devices that are similar (but use electronic attenuation), and you could just connect the receiver box in where the dummy plug currently resides.

Dave

I bought a motorized stereo ALPS pot (100K) with remote control to mimic the function of RK-1. I am not sure how this should be wired to the 9-pin socket in the back. Does anyone have any schematic for the RK-1?

The dummy plug has jumpers across the two channels as seen below, the 400cx2 manual shows both the goings-on in the remote and the overall circuit. Snip below is just the plug and remote from the fisherconsoles website.

400cx2.JPG

They also made an adapter harness with RCA jacks to connect the RK-1 to the 400C and 400-CA preamps that didn't have the jack. I've never actually seen one, just the technical documentation.

The 202t pre/tuner has the jack and mentions the RK-1 in the owners manual. May be others as well from the 202t era.

Back
Top Bottom