400cx2 on local craigslist

Catmanboo

Analog guy, meet digital world - HELP!!
Subscriber
it popped up today on akron/canton CL,"all gone through ", $2200-!! Jeez, it's just a preamp, can they command that kind of cash? Seems friggin'nuts to me. Didn't post actual ad, easy to look up though. Opinions?:)

Isn't there a market for just about anything? Just a matter of hooking up the buyer with the money and the seller.

Prices for these vary considerably. Overall condition is key to the price one should consider paying. If you find one that has virtually no chassis corrosion, with all its knobs in good condition and has been restored it is worth the most money. Some of these go for what I consider outrageous prices.

Happy hunting.

Joe

Also the tubing. One loaded with good Teles and Mullards should command more coin. Otherwise, the buyer is left looking for great sounding 7247s, which is not always easy. My CX2 probably has tubes worth $4-500 at street value in it, even though I probably picked them up over the years for nearly nothing. Some sellers strip ‘em of those bottles and sell them with JJs and other cheapies.

That these are now selling for $5,000 is pretty shocking. Most look pretty rough. But once the asian audiophiles take a liking to something, watch out. And that’s what happened with the CX2 a few years back.

It IS a mighty gorgeous sweet-sounding unit, when in full tune with the right tubes in it and the right associated gear around it. Among the very best, imo.

I am listening to 24-bits Christmas Sinatra though mine at this very moment.

Back
Top Bottom