440 Console Find...worth it?

hbrocks

Just seen this and they got $90 on it...
Have no idea if this would be worth anything to me....I told them to make a sign that says..."DO NOT PLUG IN..FIRE HAZARD"..!

IMG_20110102_154714.jpg

IMG_20110102_154738.jpg

IMG_20110102_154903.jpg

IMG_20110102_155029.jpgttp:

IMG_20110102_154903.jpg

What you're looking at is a stereo push-pull 6BQ5 (or 7189, not sure) amp. Just the amp is worth more than the asking price.

What you're looking at is a stereo push-pull 6BQ5 (or 7189, not sure) amp. Just the amp is worth more than the asking price.

Heck, if those are Amperex or Mullard EL84s, that quad may be worth the asking price....
And that doesn't even account for the 5 12AX7s in there too.

Yeah, it's worth it.

Last edited:
hell yeah it worth it! i scooped one of these up at my local gw in 2009, for $35. it was a darn nice console that sounded great! i ended up parting it out and selling everything on ebay, i made $800 bucks of it!!!!!!!!!!

yeah

It would be in my house.

I'd get a manager though and raise a stink about a $90 fire hazard and find a senoir citizen for a discount or some crazy thing...but it would be MINE no matter what.

But that's me.

ah...I knew AK was the place to get the info!
I'll check if it's there tomorrow morning and scoop it up.
Being that I'm not a tube savy guy....I'll have to find someone to bring this up on a Variac for me....
Thanks fellas...
More pics tomorrow and I'll be looking for suggestions on how to clean her up and get her going...!

If your near Vallejo, get Cooljay to take a look at it. He LOOOOOOVES CONSOLES!!! All the way up to the 4th floor to his apartment!!! :D

Seriously, he'll probably take a look at it for ya.

Larry

If your near Vallejo, get Cooljay to take a look at it. He LOOOOOOVES CONSOLES!!! All the way up to the 4th floor to his apartment!!! :D

Seriously, he'll probably take a look at it for ya.

Larry
ah....good tip...
but that's waaaaaaay too far from me...!

Can someone tell me where to get a variac....and how to fire this up?
Anything to "look-out" for or does this require the skills of a seasoned tech because I'll potentially ruin something?
I'm guessing the first order of business is to simply clean out all the dust/dirt, mouse droppings etc....
then maybe disconnect the chassis's for more cleaning but I would be sure to document with pics and labeling the wires.
I do not know how to solder....so anything needing replacements would require help.

IMG_20110102_155029.jpg

IMG_20110102_155043.jpg

Make haste slowly.
Variacs can be had on that auction site.
Alternatively, there may be an AK'er in your area willing to help.

There is a dim bulb tester you could make, but you'll have to decide to begin to exercise your DIY skills. I think larryderouin knows about them.

oops...wasn't meant to be!
someone swooped in late last night and purchased it....oh well..
Hope they get it up and running!

Have to wait for the next one..!

hbrooks - I saw that one yesterday as well (HB GW right?).

I would have picked it up but I have absolutely no room for it (and enough active projects).

I saw the guy who bought it (grabbed it right after I was done looking it over) ripping out all the tubes and putting them in a plastic bag with no protection whatsoever - made me pretty sad to see that.

hbrooks - I saw that one yesterday as well (HB GW right?).

I would have picked it up but I have absolutely no room for it (and enough active projects).

I saw the guy who bought it (grabbed it right after I was done looking it over) ripping out all the tubes and putting them in a plastic bag with no protection whatsoever - made me pretty sad to see that.
Hey Visman...YES, same one.
Hate hate hate hate seeing that happen,.....or the guys who drag it right over to the wall and plug it in. SIGH....live and learn..
My wife says ..."why didn't you just buy it instead of worrying about researching it first... you could always return it"...
doh! :scratch2:

I wouldn't sweat that as I've bought many loose tubes out of boxes and bins with very few issues. That's pretty much par for the course at many swap meets. I've even bought whole boxes of loose tubes for single decent tube I've spied in the pile.

That buyer was just smart enough to pull out those Mullards to make sure he got them. I did the same thing when I bought mine a few years back. No way was I leaving those golden boys there for some one to swipe.

Back
Top Bottom