1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

4400 in the house :)

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by The G.O.A.T., Nov 7, 2018.

1. The G.O.A.T.

The G.O.A.T. Audio slut...

I picked up my first Marantz ever on monday! The goal is to use it in the bedroom setup with a pair of tannoys/kef's. I am completely unfamiliar with Marantz from this era and my only exposure to them was when I worked at A&B Sound (Canadian retailer, now defunkd) in the late 90's/early 2000's. I know at this age it could use a go over by an experienced tec, but as I'm in Saskatoon (literally the middle of nowhere in the middle of the 2nd largest country in the world) I don't expect there to be much of expert on this machine. I'm reasonably handy with disassembly and could ship out parts if necessary but at that point I wouldn't even know who and where they should go. So any advice you could share would be much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Nick

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bktheking

bktheking Gitter Done! Subscriber

4400 is probably my least favourite receiver to work on but I still rebuild them cause they are so sweet once done- I have another one coming in a month or so to redo, it will be #4 I think i've done.

Just a lot of parts to replace and it's a quad so double of everything- it's somewhat modular so if you can pull the boards out you could ship em to someone to get them replaced. Relay replacement is tough, but not impossible.

3. The G.O.A.T.

The G.O.A.T. Audio slut...

What if I pulled parts and sent them to you?

4. dgunnr

dgunnr Marantz Owner

Chris Ready from Boothwyn, PA specializes in the 4400. Has done probably close to a 100+ of them. Did my 4400 years ago, very happy with outcome. If you plan on keeping the unit long term you have to restore it.

Very complex unit to restore. A board by board rebuild would be very expensive in shipping.

Good luck. 3rd most expensive receiver by Marantz during the 70’s.