441 recap advice,if any

Stone2266

New to forum and would like to hear advice on recapping my 441 ( my first sansui).I've already had to replace filter cap and bulbs.Although the receiver seems to be working properly I want to replace the caps mainly as a hobby project .Thanks for any responses.

Hi, l just saw your post. Your 441 is a terrific little receiver and well worth recapping. What advice were you after, what type of caps to use? You may as well replace some of the transistors while you are in there as some of them are prone to become noisy, l think it has some 2SA725/726's in it.

I will have to take a look at the manual as l recapped mine about three years ago and cannot remember all of the transistor numbers off hand. I used all Nichicon UKZ and some films for small value or low leakage replacements in mine and it sounds great.

Hello,and thanks for the reply.Well my question does concern the small value caps.I also purchased some of the UKZ but am wondering should I use something along the lines of the UPW or the UFZ for these small caps? I am very new to this hobby so I'm not too versed on the film type caps.Though new to the hobby of collecting audio gear,I came of age in the glory days of these receivers in my opinion the 70's.Yea the Sansui sounds pretty darn good and want to hear its full potential. Thank Again

From memory the only low leakage caps in the 441 are some small value orange Elna's. These are best replaced with either Nichicon UKL (these are the only currently available low leakage e-caps) or a film type which are even lower leakage, l normally use Wima MKS2's.

My normal rule of thumb is replace any electrolytic 3.3uF and under with a film, whether the original was a low leakage type or not.

Nichicon UPW are specifically designed for power supply duties, you could use them in power supply filtering positions in your 441 if you so choose or using the UKZ's here is also fine. Hope this helps.

Your welcome, yeah the UKL's will be fine, they will work out a little cheaper than the Wima's although you probably only need about four or five unless you are doing the tuner board also.

Back
Top Bottom