480z broken solder on CN4

ichorid55

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my first deck restoration, and this is actually the first deck I have ever owned. Currently it is all torn apart waiting on belts to arrive. In the waiting period I'm going to do a dry run to make sure I can get it back together properly. All belts were shot, the counter belt basically fell right off. Deck played prior to tear down, for about 45 seconds until it ate my ...And Justice for All tape. Sounded brilliant while it was playing. Looks like the take-up wasn't taking up. Anyways, close examination showed no major issues aside from a loose CN4 connection. The seller said he could not check the record functionality, and also said that the auto shut off lamp was burned out. I believe that the fact that the deck played almost one minute invalidates the auto shut off claim. But I do think there’s an issue with CN4 which powers the erase head. Not sure if I ham handed it when I unplugged it or if it was already broken since it was so loose. The solder has lifted from the board on the oscillator side and it looks to have taken the solder pad with it, should I be able to reflow it? I do not want a renegade erase head. Also, there was corrosion on the flywheels which I believe stems from a haphazard lube job spray and pray. I cleaned it up with bar keepers friend, greased plastics with Teflon and bearings with Swiss watch oil.Any tips greatly appreciated, trying to not get emotionally attached since this is the first. Already have a Kyocera D811 owner friend telling me I’m wasting my time ! Cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom