4K on DVD?

HiFiThor

I thought the industry was only going to deliver 4K content via streaming but now I see it appears to be available on DVD. Is this true? How do they do it without creating a new class of DVD player?

they already have players out there. Google "4k Blu Ray Player". Be careful since a lot of them only "upconvert" standard Blu Rays to 4 k. Read the fine print.

As for software, there's some out there now and, I would assume, if Joe Sixpack shows any interest, many more will follow.

It's called UHD. It's a different format requiring a different player capable of handling the new disks.

It costs so much more to do post in 4K that right now, even if the capture was in 4K or 6k, the digital intermediate is done in 2k and then uprezzed to UHD, negating the extra resolution advantage over blu-ray.

It's called UHD. It's a different format requiring a different player capable of handling the new disks.

It costs so much more to do post in 4K that right now, even if the capture was in 4K or 6k, the digital intermediate is done in 2k and then uprezzed to UHD, negating the extra resolution advantage over blu-ray.

So in layman's terms what you are saying is that this format does not actually give you 4K. It's higher than HD but less than 4K, correct?
6K? Is 4K already obsolete? Where will it end?

So in layman's terms what you are saying is that this format does not actually give you 4K. It's higher than HD but less than 4K, correct?
6K? Is 4K already obsolete? Where will it end?
Sorry for t confusion. UHD is capable of true 4K, but only if the source was mastered in 4K.

There are three production points to consider - capture, post production (editing) and delivery. For instance, the cameras used to capture the original image, such as Red or Canon, might be 8k. The results might be converted to 4K or even 2k for editing and color grading. Then the resulting master can be used to produce DVD, Blu-Ray (2k) and UHD (4K). If the master was in 2k, it can make a Blu-Ray with no adjustment, but must be "uprezzed " for UHD. The UHD can't be "sharper " than the Blu-Ray, though.

They are working on the next TV standard, 8k!

Sorry for t confusion. UHD is capable of true 4K, but only if the source was mastered in 4K.

There are three production points to consider - capture, post production (editing) and delivery. For instance, the cameras used to capture the original image, such as Red or Canon, might be 8k. The results might be converted to 4K or even 2k for editing and color grading. Then the resulting master can be used to produce DVD, Blu-Ray (2k) and UHD (4K). If the master was in 2k, it can make a Blu-Ray with no adjustment, but must be "uprezzed " for UHD. The UHD can't be "sharper " than the Blu-Ray, though.

They are working on the next TV standard, 8k!

This all seems pointless in chasing the next higher standard. What would be the ultimate in a presentation format, something that could not be improved upon as far as resolution? I realize that the technology must be developed to get there, I just don't know why we are wasting so much blood and treasure and just develop it with the end game in mind. I guess too much commerce and jobs are dependent upon a gradual and incremental crawl to that which cannot be improved upon. As a thought why are we not going full tilt boogie in the development of holographic presentation systems? A fully interactive transactional system where you could actually develop you own end story?

Film is analog and doesn't have resolution just like vinyl doesnt have a bit or sampling rate.
Actually film has problems with resolution and it deals with how fine the grain of the chemical is that makes up the photo sensitive properties. This was a real problem back in the day when they first tried to get high resolution photos from spy satellites in the early Corona Spy Satellite project. I believe it was Kodak that developed the finer grain film substrate that allowed much greater resolution bringing in more detail in the smaller objects.

My take on this whole thing it that what's SOTA today will, in six months, will be yesterdays tech.

But, I don't see this as a bad thing. Tech has evolved incrementally so much that even a few generations back, it's still quite impressive and, for many, the differences between that and what's new today will be moot. Many eat the "real world" difference between Blu-Ray and 4k isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless you sit with your nose a few feet from the screen.

So, unless the brandy new stuff has a feature you really, really need, it may not be imperative to get the newest one.

That, and if you buy the last of the previous generation or so you can save a few bucks when they try to unload it to make room for the latest and greatest.

But, there's always some who swear they can tell the difference from another room and just have to have the latest and greatest. That's great. go for it. That keeps unemployment low in the producing countries and the retailers here who sell them. They do provide a boost to the economy.

But, in any case, it'll be upstaged by something else in year or so.

If I were buying today (and I bought a 4k set less than a year ago), I'll go for the current best I can rationalize and live with it until it dies or something earth shaking comes along. The last "quantum jumps" I can recall is when we went from VHS and DPL to DVD Shiny discs with DD/DTS and then from from 480 to 1080, and I'm still not totally sold on that for every release. The jury's still out on this 4k stuff. From my seat in the TV room I can't say I'm blown away by the improvement. When I'm 2 - 3 feet away from a 55" screen, yes, but from farther away, well.

I may just hold off until they make a reasonable priced holodeck.

Last edited:
Film is analog and doesn't have resolution just like vinyl doesnt have a bit or sampling rate.
Actually, film is digital (binary) in a sense. The silver halide crystal absorbs enough energy in the form of photons to chemically react (with the help of developer) or not. After development and before fixing it can only exist in one of two states. The developer either reduced it to metallic silver or it didn't. If not, fixer dissolves it out of the emulsion layer. The metallic silver particles (grain) are opaque. The concentration controls how much light transmits through any particular spot on the negative. BTW, all modern color film starts out as a B&W negative before becoming either a color negative or transparency.

If you don't think film has resolution, take photos of a standard resolution test chart with the same camera/lens combination but with different ISO film stock and compare.

Back
Top Bottom