5.1 or 5.2 controller/preamp?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I want to upgrade to an amp that can run some more difficult to drive speakers (AR, Infinity, KEF) than the cheap HT receivers can handle.

Looking at something like an ATI 5-channel power amp.

Can you guys recommend a decent 5.1 or 5.2 controller/preamp? New or used. I don't need 7.2 or anything even more crazy...Mains, center, and surrounds are plenty.

I only need to handle audio but if it does more, that would be fine.

Looking at an OPPO UDP-205 as a processor and multi-use device but it doesn't have a second HDMI out (it's audio only). I would still need to use my HT receiver to handle some of the video.

Also, an Anthem 520 would work, but I don't need the amp. Advantage is I could use it as is until I save up for the power amp.

Any thoughts?

FWIW: I tried two Outlaw 975's. Neither worked properly in my system. I ended up buying the Emotiva UMC-200. Outlaw was very good about sending a replacement unit when the first didn't work properly and then giving me a refund when I couldn't get the second to work properly either. Both ran extremely hot. They were hot enough that I didn't want to hold my finger on the top rear of the case for more than 3 seconds.

Last edited:
FWIW: I tried two Outlaw 975's. Neither worked properly in my system. I ended up buying the Emotiva UMC-200. Outlaw was very good about sending a replacement unit when the first didn't work properly and then giving me a refund when I couldn't get the second to work properly either. Both ran extremely hot. They were hot enough that I didn't want to hold my finger on the top rear of the case for more than 3 seconds.

Any idea what the issue was?

I've not been happy with any HT receiver I have had so far (maybe a half dozen in 20 years). Each one had something that I didn't like or didn't work the way I thought it should. FWIW, none of them were TOL, or even close.

Even though you mentioned 'used', I assume you are looking for a pre/pro that can handle 4K?

Any idea what the issue was?

I've not been happy with any HT receiver I have had so far (maybe a half dozen in 20 years). Each one had something that I didn't like or didn't work the way I thought it should. FWIW, none of them were TOL, or even close.

I spent at least two hours on the phone with Outlaw tech support. Neither unit would sync properly when changing inputs. The inputs were, Fios cable box, Roku LT and Sony Blu-ray all connected via HDMI cables. The Outlaw also ran extremely hot on the rear of the case. The same devices and cables are working fine with the Emotiva. Also, it's operating temperature is a lot lower.

Your complaint about not liking a feature or not working the way you want is why I stay away from receivers. Using all separates with a pre/pro for surround/HT gives me the ability to choose what and how everything works.

Back
Top Bottom