5.1 Rear Speaker Recommendations?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm finally building a decent 5.1 system for both music and HT use in the family room.

All of my smaller speakers have rear ports, and not really suitable for placing on a bookshelf or wall mount. Everything else is too big for the same purpose (Infinity RS 5b, Large Advents, etc.). I still may use the RS 5b, but the WAF is pushing the limits.

Looking for some recommendations and thoughts. Sealed enclosure or front firing ports.

I'm driving the speakers with an ATI 1505, so power and speaker impedance should not be an issue.

Mains will be either Infinity Kappa 7.1, RS IIIa, or Klipsch Chorus II, Center is a JBL S-Series.

There's currently a pair of B&W 705s in Barter Town.

Thanks,
Ross

Since you're not really counting on the rears for meaningful bass, you could use a pair of your existing smaller speakers by placing a homemade plug of open-cell foam in the rear ports. Works well in most cases.

Cheers,
Larry B.

If you are going to be crossing them at 80Hz or something like that, does the port really even factor in that much? Or even need more than a small gap to let it breathe?

I use Boston CR7s made for wall hanging . The have a rear port but the design keeps them from sealing against the wall on the used market they are affordable .

Infinity Infinitessimal IV? Should be a perfect match with the Kappa 7.1. They are somewhat hard to find, and they ALWAYS need re-foamed. I use them with my Qb mains.

My first take on home theater I hung a pair of JBL L20T speakers from some plant hooks in the ceiling by the back wall.
(Hooks had long screws and expanding wing-nuts). They were small and somewhat light, worked pretty well for 'atmospheric" sounds behind us - and didn't need to do bass to speak of. They also had a front port between the woofer and tweeter.

A few years later I had a pair of L80T JBLs - bigger and taller, but they had a rear port (!). I went to Home Depot and got a drill saw the same size as the port hole, drilled a hole on the front baffle like the L20Ts had, moved the Port Tube to the front hole, and took the drilled out "Plug" from the front and used Elephant glue to glue it into the old rear port hole. Moving the rear port to the front worked like a champ.
A few years later I was playing with DCM Timeframe speakers, pulled the JBLs, and put a pair of TF600 speakers on the floor by the back wall. They have a very open sound - seemed like the wall moved back a few feet - it really opened up our small TV room!
Since then I switched my mains from DCM Timeframes to Vandersteen 2CEs, and now to UREI 809As but through all of that, the TF600s are still in use as rear surrounds - They have such a great sound, such a nice sense of space that they are still there years later.

Last edited:
My first take on home theater I hung a pair of JBL L20T speakers from some plant hooks in the ceiling by the back wall.
(Hooks had long screws and expanding wing-nuts). They were small and somewhat light, worked pretty well for 'atmospheric" sounds behind us - and didn't need to do bass to speak of. They also had a front port between the woofer and tweeter.

A few years later I had a pair of L80T JBLs - bigger and taller, but they had a rear port (!). I went to Home Depot and got a drill saw the same size as the port hole, drilled a hole on the front baffle like the L20Ts had, moved the Port Tube to the front hole, and took the drilled out "Plug" from the front and used Elephant glue to glue it into the old rear port hole. Moving the rear port to the front worked like a champ.
A few years later I was playing with DCM Timeframe speakers, pulled the JBLs, and put a pair of TF600 speakers on the floor by the back wall. They have a very open sound - seemed like the wall moved back a few feet - it really opened up our small TV room!
Since then I switched my mains from DCM Timeframes to Vandersteen 2CEs, and now to UREI 809As but through all of that, the TF600s are still in use as rear surrounds - They have such a great sound, such a nice sense of space that they are still there years later.

That's an interesting solution. My speakers have molded ports, and they are smallish speakers, so not as easy to relocate to the front.

Also, zero floor space at the back of our HT/Family room. I'm stuck with wall mount or hanging them.

I have some POS plastic Advents on stands pointed up at the ceiling. I read about that trick long before Atmos was even a thought and it actually works pretty well.

Maybe I'll mount my Infinity RSII the same way and give them a try (2000's version, not 80's version).

I'm using my trusty Swan R3 Dipole's that work very good for surround duty, they are big and heavy but made to go on the wall or a shelf.

Audiofreak71

B44E6D2E-333A-4CD4-B86B-D67F28C440C7.jpeg FBD21B76-1783-476A-9D00-6739F0221D59.jpeg

FWIW:
I ended up with goldenear supersat 3s for rear / surrounds, and am very happy with them.
Very small, nice looking (YMMV), various mounting options, go surprisingly deep, sonically are mostly unobtrusive (except when called upon), and don't try to out-shout the main JBLs. White noise and EQ wise, very similar to my JBL L200s without the UHF (077) drivers (ie, not super 'sparkly').
Fairly heavy. Not super cheap. Need to chose between vertical and horizontal models. Wish they made em in white.
Good hunting!!

Yep sure is, he's a she lol. THanks, She's a South African Boerbel (Mastiff)

I knew it was some kind of Mastiff breed. Too good looking for a Neopolitan (sorry Neo owners...).

We have almost pulled the trigger on a Ridgeback on a couple occasions. Mostly Lab and Weimaraner people, but we also have a Boston Terrier that thinks he weighs 80 lbs IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0236.JPG

Burglars beware!

That's funny we have a Boston Terrier as well, Leo is the old man around the house (8yrs old) while Koa our Boerbel (Mastiff) is still a puppy 15 months and 151lbs.ADC6EF0F-94F5-41C2-932B-FD640753FBA6.jpeg 8E529C4F-70A0-46B3-9457-4EB574EFEA89.jpeg

That's a beautiful Weimeraner and I've always liked Boston and French bulldogs.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom