5 ohm l-pads

rstsgsas

2much gear 2little time
My Infinity Quantum 3s are in need of replacement L-pads.I would like to keep them in place.I can only find 8 ohm L-pads.The originals are 5 ohm ,25 watt .Any ideas of where I can find replacements or how I could make the 8 ohm ones work without changing the crossover points and specs.I can clean them and they work great for awhile then I start getting some scratchiness in low vol situations.1 does not attenuate anymore although speaker still works.

8 Ohm L-pad should be fine.

Don't think there would be a problem using it. And I doubt you would have to modify anything at all.
Ron

If they're REALLY 5 ohm pads, then I'd say that 4 ohm pads would be much closer to optimal than 8 ohm pads!

With a 4 ohm pad,I doubt that you'd have to change anything to make it work. Especially if the L-pad is operated most-of-the-way up in level... the pad won't make that much difference, up there. With an 8 ohm pad, there may be enough difference to be audible. This much off, and you can start to change the damping of crossover sections... which can cause peaking in the response of the driver concerned. Not something to invite...

Regards,
Gordon.

4 ohm I guess

3 from 1 speaker measure 4.9-5.7 so I guess they are 5 ohm.They are made of ceramic.I will go for the 4 ohm,Boy they ain't cheap.14 bucks ea and I need 6.

Word to the wise- you can "make" a 4 ohm mono L-pad, out of a stereo 8 ohm L-pad (dual-gang). Just take both gangs, and parallel all three leads (terminal 1 of one gang to terminal 1 of the other gang, terminal 2 paralleled with terminal 2, etc) from one gang to the other.

If you do this, you can get stereo 8 ohm L-pads from Parts Express... should be quite a bit less, IME. Like this one... $3.85 each:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-249

It's rated at 15 ohms per channel... but if you paralleled both sides, it'd be a 30 watt 4-ohm L-pad. As long as the 3/8" long shaft works, it's butta for this application...

Regards,
Gordon.

Yep, these are certainly 5 ohm pots, which was pretty much the standard fare for Infinities of this time. I guess Arnie and Christie managed a great deal on a bulk buy of them. :scratch2:

I had mine all pulled apart for cleaning and these must be pulled apart and manually cleaned as even DeoxIt can't help the center contact (some silverish metal that has a hard, black non-conductive oxide) for the wiper not too long ago. I ended up cleaning up and reassembling 5 (3 from one Quantum 2 and two from a pair of RSbs) and measured them after cleaning, all swiped from just above 0 ohms to 5 ohms on the mark. The two contacts on the side will measure the resistive element directly at 5 ohms and the difference between 5 ohms and the reading at the center contact with the shaft turned all the way to the right, just short if the bump (hitting the rivet holding the element in place) will tell you how corroded everything is.

To answer the other comment, the flat setting for these is actually right in the middle of this impedance, so jumpering is not an option unless having the highs 2-3dB higher than flat is to one's tastes.

The pots themselves are a simple affair. While the back of the housing is ceramic, it acts only as an insulator to the resistive element. That element is just a loose spiral of resistive wire arranged in an arc inside the housing that a wiper contacts on one end with the other going about a pizza cutter of a central contact. Nothing fancy, but I suspect it all is a bit inductive, which was likely taken into consideration by Infinity since they made such excellently designed crossovers and subsequently may cause a change in sound with replacement. All in all, unless the wire is broken (no conductivity at all between the outer contacts), these are super easy to clean and rebuild to last. They've lasted 30 years thus far and should last just as long after a cleaning, these aren't whimpy l-pads. If there is a bit of scratch afterwards despite doing more than just spraying some contact cleaner in there, then maybe a product like Caig's Pro-Gold will do the job?

- JP

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doh! This was a paleo-thread. Well, Jim, most likely you can clean those pots up just fine and get your Quantums going again without the need for replacing them. Just mosey on over to this post where I describe how to do it. It's really quite simple as these pots are incredibly easy to take apart and reassemble, which is more than can be said for most.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom