1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

5-Pin DIN audio cables.

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Oerets, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Would this be what is needed to adapt a DIN connector on the back of a unit to another that uses RCA's?

In all these years of enjoying audio the only other time I ran across them was with B&O equipment. Now looking a set for an amplifier. Wanted to be sure before making a purchase.

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

Something like that, yes.

You need to check if it's a 180 or 240 degree pinout. And which pins it needs to be wired to...

3. Oerets

It is for a Arcam amplifier.
    In a holding pattern right now while a friend looks in hopes he has one in his stash.

If not will order some to get it going.

4. lini

lini just me...

Oerets: Problem is, that an adaptor cable as depicted could have three possible wirings. I.e., the RCA signal leads could go to either DIN pin 3 (left) and 5 (right), which would be the correct sort for adapting a (line-level) source with RCA output jacks to a pre-amp/integrated amp/receiver with DIN inputs, or to pin 3 (left) and both pin 5 and pin 1 (right) to be also compatible to older DIN phono inputs, that still expect the right channel on pin 1, or to pin 1 (left) and 4 (right), which would be the correct sort to hook a recorder with RCA input jacks to a pre-amp/integrated amp/receiver with DIN tape output. So as cpt_p already wrote, you need to know, how the particular adaptor is wired, in order to tell, whether its suitable for the intended connection.

Personally, if I need a connection between DIN and RCA, I prefer to make it myself, so I can use better plugs with metal shells, higher quality cable material and choose the exact wiring - 'cause the commercially available adaptors/adaptor cables typically only are of very basic quality...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: The RCA signal grounds would both go to DIN pin 2 in either case.

5. Oerets

Thanks, the service manual states, 1,L input 4,R input 2, ground 5, R output 3 L Output.

Ordered some from China to test the unit.

Agree making up some will be the best option.

6. Portkula

Portkula Active Member

No. To be universal, there must be FOUR RCAs, not two.

7. lini

lini just me...

Well, not quite, but almost - 'cause from a really good RCA to DIN phono adaptor I'd actually expect an extra connection for a separate ground cable. However, in any case the presence of four RCAs should indicate a complete line-in & -out adaptor, of which one can expect that it won't be wired for phono (i.e. no bridge between pins 1 and 5 installed).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

8. No Money

No Money AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have two Naim din to rca adaptors, they both have only two rca connections. Are you saying Naim can't make a proper din to rca adaptor?

9. lini

lini just me...

N_M: No - "two RCAs only" just wouldn't indicate a complete line-in & -out adaptor.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

10. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

To continue what Manfred is saying the 2 RCA - DIN adapter is for inputs and as he said they aren't complete in/out connections. But a tuner doesn't need both. This is something needed for player/recorders like tape, MD and such. It is much cleaner not having those extra RCAs dangling on the back of the unit.

11. Portkula

Portkula Active Member

To be universal, "quite".

12. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

The OP didn't specify the purpose. Most likely connection is a simple stereo input, which only needs two signal connections. A tape I/O port would need four signal connections. But, as I said, mechanical type and connection pinout needs to be checked. That covers all numbers of signal connections...

13. Oerets

The need is for connecting a Arcam A60 Integrated amplifier to sources.
    It does have a tape loop as one of the inputs so a four cable was ordered in female RCA's for versatility.

Tested with headphones and no signal so far as to operation. Seems to have passed after fuse holder and power cable repairs.

14. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

I have a Tandberg TR-2045 with DINputs and I am pretty sure the Phono DINput is just wired for 3 of the 5 pins on the receiver and I have the appropriate universal 2 RCA jack-5-Pin DIN for that input. The two tape DINputs on the Tandberg are wired for the 4 RCA jack to 5 Pin DIN.

Universal, used throughout the universe, both are correct.
    Universal, usable in any configuration and the 4-RCA unit would be the one to have.

No need to argue about it.

Oerets likes this.
  15. Oerets

Report back in when the slow boat delivers.

16. lini

lini just me...

Well, hopefully it's not something like an old German Typ IX, going submerged - otherwise that could take a while... ;)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini