500-c tube replacement help

chefg1

Are their any tubes to replace the 6au6 i bought a fisher 500-c and cabinet was smashed ,but the receiver survived all except one tube that i have to replace. The seller did a very good packing job but you know how the ups guys do it. Anyway cant fire it up until i get the tubes fishers if i can. some of tubes are Rca and Sylvania power tubes:scratch2:

Any 6AU6 will do. They're readily available and cheap. I bet you can find them locally and I know you can find them online.

I use GE 6AU6's in all my tube gear unless it's got a FISHER tube there already. RCA, Westinghouse, Raytheon, and Sylvania are good also. If it's in the RF or IF Stages, best to get them close. A lot of times you should have the IF/RF stages aligned after tube replacements but if it pulls in stations ok, put it off for a while. Have you tested any of the others? You're gonna pay a premium for the "FISHER BRANDED" tubes. If you have deep pockets and can get them ok. If not a GE,RCA, Raytheon, Westinghouse, Sylvania tube will work fine as Don said.

6AU6 is an insanely plentiful tube. Installing a different one will likely require realignment of at least the section in which the 6AU6 resides, though.

It won't work in FM without it. As for working in AUX or phono with it out, I wouldn't try it. Heater voltages would probably go up a bit without it in there.

Larry

The biggest concern is running the receiver without any preamp or phono preamp tubes installed. They are wired in series and parallel connected to the bias circuit. As for leaving one 6au6 out, it wouldn't be much harm to remove one since it's heater is connected to the different secondary. But as larry said, the heater may go up a bit but probably not too much of concern if only one tube is removed. But even though I ran receiver without a couple tube for testing without problem, I still don't know what to expect on the HV side of the tube if one tube is not installed. I personally would just have ALL proper tubes in while operating.

Back
Top Bottom