$500 Sound Design “rack” system

For $500 that would be perfect for a lot of people, plus they would take an offer to get it out the door.

That's actually pretty low in the ''ALL ANALOG VINTAGE CLASSIC!'' category;)

You forgot RARE!!! PERFECT FOR YOUR VINYLS!!!

My uncle had something like that but his had an 8 track as well. It really wasn't very good.

Actually, that looks to be upper-tier Soundesign. I mostly recall worse dreck than that under the flag, but I also recall someone posting an image here on AK a few years ago of what looked to be a pretty good early Soundesign receiver, and being surprised because I only ever saw the plastic Schlitz.

They'll probably sell it to some hipster who wants to play his new "vinyls" and doesn't know any better. And he'll take it home and hook some $500 phono preamp to it and think it's the best shit ever.

Considering its condition a fact that shows that someone took good care of it, and considering how many are still out their in this condition makes this a prime example for a collector. The cheap cars of the past a Model T when first sold and then later as they degraded and became a rather junky automobile would later become quite collectable. One that was kept in mint condition over the years becomes the ones that bring the highest prices. Anything kept in good enough shape for long enough becomes a more valuable collectable, Even something as simple as a clay pot, or an arrow head to be shot from an arrow at some point in age becomes rare, and somewhat valuable, someone has to keep it in good shape long enough for it to be a mint collectable..

Two ways to make a collectable mint, one is to buy it when new, or like new, and keep it pristine long enough, or the second way is to restore it, which is a more costly method and sometimes the cost of restoration can exceed the value when it is competed.

The funny thing about a large group of AK members is they can't wait to try and bash something. Generally they don't have much anyway so normally they bash equipment they can't afford and the people who buy it, it's snake oil, and the people who buy it are ignorant to SQ. They are also lazy, and more money than brains asking a dealer to set them up.

The other end of the spectrum is the lower end of audio. This bottom end doesn't get hit as hard because it has to be very low end for this group of members system to be better, at least in their mind or a group consensus of a brand. The fact is, is theirs may not be much better if at all.

There is only one reason for this behavior, an insecurity in ones own self worth and their personal status.

I would bet that at $500, that system sounds better than a lot of the naysayers systems do right now.

The turntable is a fully auto linear tracking turntable, are you going to be able to buy one today new? I would bet that table is better than a lot of vintage tables that members have and better than most new $300-$600 decks today.

Anyway I guess for the insecure, have fun belittling other audio equipment you think yours is better than, we know you don't get many opportunities at that.

While it's not the best in the world, it is a very common system type of the mid 80s that most people would have in their homes that wanted a bit of music. Nothing wrong with someone having it today for the same reason.

All Audio No Arrogant Atitude :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dan, you must be kidding. $500 american dollars for that Sound Design is absurd. Perhaps the TT is okay, but those speakers are the bottom-of-the-barrel stamped drivers.

I know. I had this system (not exact, but similar).

There is simply no reason someone should waste their money on this (Tim Taylor's opinion, nothing more). It has nothing to do with anyone's insecurities, or any of those other Freudian points you make.

When people belittle cables, or rubber feet, or the latest high-dollar whatever, without previous experience, or ears, or equipment to reveal what these can do.....this is, shall we say, a VERY sore point with you (that you repeatedly make, over and over and over....ad nauseum).

While I get your ire, must you beat that drum quite so loudly??

It isn't like I'm mocking someone for ALREADY OWNING and enjoying this humble system. It's just not anywhere near worth that kind of cheddar.

"Generally they don't have much anyway" - Gross oversimplification, and painting with a very elitist, wide brush.

"....they bash equipment they can't afford..." - I'll just let that one hang in the air for a minute.

"There is only one reason for this behavior, an insecurity in ones own self worth and their personal status." - Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. While there might be a scenario where this is true, I

really have no problem championing great sound on the cheap, as well as admiring someone (such as yourself) climbing the mountain to nirvana.

Love ya big guy, but making these type of statements is unbecoming for a AKOY that is, at heart, a wonderful person, who gives freely of his time, money and knowledge.

"Only a friend will tell you when your face is dirty." - Spanish proverb.

I really hope I haven't ruffled any feathers. It's not my intention.

The funny thing about a large group of AK members is they can't wait to try and bash something. Generally they don't have much anyway so normally they bash equipment they can't afford and the people who buy it, it's snake oil, and the people who buy it are ignorant to SQ. They are also lazy, and more money than brains asking a dealer to set them up.

The other end of the spectrum is the lower end of audio. This bottom end doesn't get hit as hard because it has to be very low end for this group of members system to be better, at least in their mind or a group consensus of a brand. The fact is, is theirs may not be much better if at all.

There is only one reason for this behavior, an insecurity in ones own self worth and their personal status.

I would bet that at $500, that system sounds better than a lot of the naysayers systems do right now.

The turntable is a fully auto linear tracking turntable, are you going to be able to buy one today new? I would bet that table is better than a lot of vintage tables that members have and better than most new $300-$600 decks today.

Anyway I guess for the insecure, have fun belittling other audio equipment you think yours is better than, we know you don't get many opportunities at that.

While it's not the best in the world, it is a very common system type of the mid 80s that most people would have in their homes that wanted a bit of music. Nothing wrong with someone having it today for the same reason.

All Audio No Arrogant Atitude :rolleyes:

Alex,I'll take Mirrors for $100....

For $500 that would be perfect for a lot of people, plus they would take an offer to get it out the door.

Dan, you must be kidding. $500 american dollars for that Sound Design is absurd.
Read above, nothing is set in stone, it's a starting asking price.

Perhaps the TT is okay, but those speakers are the bottom-of-the-barrel stamped drivers.
Well I don't like the looks of the speakers, and speakers can be worked with buy swapping them for greater improvements.

When people belittle cables, or rubber feet, or the latest high-dollar whatever, without previous experience, or ears, or equipment to reveal what these can do.....this is, shall we say, a VERY sore point with you (that you repeatedly make, over and over and over....ad nauseum).
You know your thread Pet Peeves, this is mine, and I'll carry the water gladly for ALL audio, the high end and the low end.

While I get your ire, must you beat that drum quite so loudly??
bang bang

It isn't like I'm mocking someone for ALREADY OWNING and enjoying this humble system.
Yes it is, people get started by reading, they will not join or post what they have because of belittling. Pleas explain why I'm elitist but this behavior is different?

"Generally they don't have much anyway" - Gross oversimplification, and painting with a very elitist, wide brush.
Quite the opposite, if I exhibited the same behavior of belittling equipment I felt was inferior to mine like members are doing in this thread. I would alienate a lot of people on this site. The fact of the matter, a group think mentality that they can get away with it is why it's done. It's still elitist as you say to do it regardless the pecking order.

Please do find a post of mine, thread start were it was to put down any equipment level, brand or other wise. If the topic is whats better and I'v tried something or own both I'll state what's better IMHO. You know I have no trouble trying anything.

Love ya big guy, but making these type of statements is unbecoming for a AKOY that is, at heart, a wonderful person, who gives freely of his time, money and knowledge.

"Only a friend will tell you when your face is dirty." - Spanish proverb.

I really hope I haven't ruffled any feathers. It's not my intention.

Love you to, so either see where I'm coming from and why....or not.

It still doesn't negate the fact members feel it's ok to belittle equipment that's less or more than they have and the under lying fact as to why.

@4-2-7

I'm not sure that "belittling one's equipment" is the issue here. With that said, I've seen it from others, and it's not cool. Also doesn't go with our "All Audio, No Attitude" mantra.

But...If all we ever did was wring our hands and say "You're okay, I'm okay" would we ever get subjective, honest information?

Good people like yourself and damacman, velocityboats, and a few others convinced me to quit being a wimp, and move on to something serious. I ended up with McIntosh XRT 20's, and even restored them myself. Because of HONEST, hard-won experience, these people moved me into another realm I couldn't have imagined, and I am in their debt. Now....

If someone has this very system, and it brings them happiness.....FANTASTIC! Honestly, my best friend on earth has a Crosley. I've never once disparaged it, nor attempted to convince him he should move to something better (if only for his record collection, which is strangely impressive)

On that TT.....if I saw it separately, and for cheap, hell yes I would rock it. I have a cheapie Kenwood for my worst vinyl, and I've had a ball dampening the plinth, tinkering with it.

The joy is in the journey as much as the destination, wouldn't you say?

I guess the point I wanted to make was this - I have read countless times, you getting your dander up. Sometimes, rightly so.

But, like the good book says, forgive them, because they know not what they do, ahem, hear.

If I had a nickel for every time early in my AK journey that I made some bombastic statement (which was borne of extreme enthusiasm), well, I'd have a shit-ton of nickels.

We live, we learn. No need to take umbrage.

We all know that you are in that top 1%, and hey man, props and thumbs up to you. Some of us are happy with what we got, some are trying to get there.

It's all good my man.

Haha, I just thought of something in this very vein...

People were ALWAYS knocking the SM152 from Infinity, which was a Christmas gift from my parents way back in '89.

Fast forward to a few years ago, when I finally sold them after MUCH fussing with cabs, crossovers, etc.

I have to admit, them things SUCKED at anything above 1 watt. However, I sure didn't want anyone telling me such.

I get it. I really do. Personal bias is a real thing. Now that they're gone, I do not miss them. I do miss dear old Dad, tho, who had a hand in getting them for me.

Back
Top Bottom