500-T in Da House

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
I got a 500-T to fill out my 700-T, 550-T collection last week from another AK'er. He had gotten it as part of a 3 unit lot and wasn't sure about it's health/well being. Price was right, so it was shipped out here.

Well I finally got around to it y'day. Externally it's in good shape. No knobs, but I have a set from a 400-T parts unit that went on the 500-T. Typical Gold Foil missing but not a deal breaker except for those who must have it. Internally it had about 1/4" of dust on top surfaces which was removed with a brush, then it was sprayed down with CRC QD Electronic's cleaner. The Tuning V.C. was opened up and cleaned with CRC QD Contact Cleaner and buttoned back up. Brought out the DBT and Variac, and ramped it up on headphones and a dipole. 50-100-150W 3way bulb on 50W. Nothing. Checked the fuses and the main fuse holder had cracked at the cap, and the fuse was blown. Trip to Home Depot for fuses and replaced the Fuse holder. Tried ramping up again and had lights on it by 50V and no light on the dbt. Continued up to 120v and nothing on the dbt, with static on FM. As the tuning dial was all the way to 108mHz I dialed down the scale and got plenty of stations. The dial pointer is slightly off and needs resetting. Left channel was very weak but jumping the volume pot determined that the amps were working fine.

Started probing around the tone control board, and found that I could induce LEFT Channel to work. Bad caps. With some judicious pressure on the cap I could get it to stay on for about 5-10 minutes (long enough to check it out on both channels. MONO is definately weaker than STEREO, but MPX has some issues. LEFT SIDE Washes out the Right side and what there is of the right side is echoing, and somewhat distorted. Left Side is louder than Mono.

POWER SUPPLY CAPS after 45 minutes were all cool and operating voltages were all within 1% + or -. Bias was within 1volt, but with the bias pots on the amp boards being a weak point in the operation I left well enough alone.

To recap. It works, but it needs some help. This will be done after I get around to finishing the 400.

I'll get some pics up in the next couple days.

Larry

:lurk:

...go, Larry, go...should be another great thread...I have a 500-T I should finish up one of these days...

Gotta check my stock of 1uf 100V DME's or ECQ's. Today, I checked every socketed transistor and all on the amplifier, tone control, and preamp boards were good and pretty equal side to side. The 1uf100v that are in there now look almost like styrene caps, vs. the standard Mallory lytic's. I'll have to pull one out and see.

I think you will find that, once restored, your 500T will be a worthy competitor to its big brother, the 700T.

Nice that it came back somewhat to life without too much fuss. I have one of these in pretty good functional shape and it's a really capable performer. I haven't used it much for fear of something blowing up. I recently got one of those $15 all-in-one smart electrical component checkers, so I'm closer to digging in to the SS pile.

Man, I can't understand why you keep getting more Fisher's, just doesn't make sense to me. :p

When I get new batteries in the Camera! Probably tomorrow. Back is giving me fit's today! 1st time I've been vertical for more than 2 minutes without legs feeling wobbly. And I haven't done anything that I know of to agravate it.

Steve; And you haven't got the market in 1800's sewn up! HAH!!!

Exterior pics of the 500-T. YES, it needs feet!
100_5197.JPG

100_5198.JPG

100_5199.JPG

I'll probably take some pics of the interior, not so much to "prove it happened", but more to back up this old memory!

Take enough Oxy, and I could get run over by a train and not feel it. But I take just enough to take the edge off, and it's getting harder and harder to keep that level down or to take as little as possible to keep the pain under control, I've been on them so long. There's days when I don't need any, and then the friggin barometer drops. :mad: I'm trying to wean off them and the fentanyl patches and I hit a wall with 50mcg Fentanyl and 20mg of Oxy 4 times a day. On the days I don't take any Oxy, I'm eating 325mg Aspirin like friggin candy. But not over the max rec dosage. But when I need them they do come in handy. Like this morning I took 4 aspirin and no oxy. Hopefully I can keep the Aspirin going today. :thumbsup:

Larry

No, I do not. Is he in Ferdinand as well?
Yes he is, or was a while back. He had a small data business and I worked for him as a sales rep back in the 1990s. I used to stay in Jasper when I came down from Chicago. Just curious as Ferdinand is not very large. I knew a Tom Gunn from the area as well.

I'm not a native of this town so I do not know very many people in Ferdinand.

But we digress - let's get back to another great Larry D. thread... :)

I may be biased, but I think the 500T is the best looking of the "T" series.

Using it to drive my XP-10's right now and sounds so good that it can lure me away from my main system.

Good luck on getting her back to normal.:thumbsup:

Making up a parts list from Mouser in my spare time. And not much of that either. Gotta go thru my pile of new parts and see what I actually have 1st before I finalize the parts list. Shipped out a MPX-100 to Dave G for Rob Thomas today so he can use with his TA-800. I'm finally getting tired (@ 3:45AM.) so off to bed I go.

Back
Top Bottom