500s

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by Matt Mincer, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Matt Mincer

Matt Mincer Member

Hey All,

A guy contacted me to rebuild his Fisher 500s. Does anyone have suggestions for things that I "must do" or things to look at for?

Thanks
    Matt

Please register to disable this ad.

2. thornev

thornev Active Member

Wow. This forum is FULL of suggestions. Too many to list. Read on ! Thorne

3. audmod01

audmod01 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Matt;

First thing would be to get together a list of replacement electrolytic capacitors for the power supply section. Do a replacement of these parts before applying power to the set. There are a number of companies that can supply new parts, such as Hayseed Hamfest, hayseedhamfest.com or it is possible to re-stuff existing electrolytic cans with new internal parts. Most beginners would find it easier to just install new replacements. Look in the AudioKarma.org database and get a copy of the service manual for the 500-S and become familiar with the overall circuitry of the unit. There are plenty of helpful people here who can assist you as you learn about the unit and begin any restoration.

Joe

4. mrphilco

mrphilco AK Subscriber Subscriber

5. thornev

thornev Active Member

6. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Search TA-600 in the forum. It was the IMMEDIATE PREDECESSOR to the 500S (which incidentally was only made for the 1961 Model year in both console version (1961 Premiere as one of two choices of power packs) and a standalone. The 500B came out for the 1962 Model year and the 500S slid into obscurity. It's probably one of the least know and most rare of the 1960's tube stereo(simulcast with provision for MPX) receivers that FISHER built. The 500S and the TA-600 are very close in construction. The Amplifier section at 1st quick glance looks very similar to a 50000 series TA-600. BUT the 500S is Silicon Rectified. The amps both use 12ax7 in phono and line sections, 7247 for driver/phase inverters, and EL84's for output tubes. Both are cathode biased. I haven't taken a look at the tuners for comparison yet.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Matt Mincer

Matt Mincer Member

Thanks for all of the info but the guy decided not to buy the unit. I realize I can search for these things but when I do, I get a million threads. It would be cool to create a bot that could search a forum and make a list of all of the known issues and repairs for a given model. Sort of an auto sticky generator.

Peace
    Matt

8. thornev

thornev Active Member

Matt - Search is good for finding threads on specific topics, but for learning about the possibilities, pick a thread title that sounds relevant and start reading. I find that the threads in this forum tend to stay on topic with few comedic divergences and philosophical debates like a lot of other forums. What I mean to say is that there is a wealth of knowledge in every thread and the experts tend to participate a lot which means you have a great opportunity to learn a lot. And sometimes the experts START threads just because they're sharing their own explorations into improving these wonderful, vintage devices. Thorne